Hydration System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't tried it myself, but have seen at least one person using that sort of system and they said it worked well for them.

I use a 2 litre MSR "Drom-lite" water bag with their hydration tube thingy and just put it in my tankbag with the hose clipped to the side where I can get at it easily. CLICK HERE!

Works well for me. Some folks don't like using a tank bag, and they wear one of the many hydration packs/platypus bags etc on their backs and ride like that.

Hope this helps,

Griff

I am tired of missing out on the "Skyway" and would like to try this:
https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html

Who has tried this, and what advice can you give me? OR

Does anyone have a better remedy for a hydration set up?
T, Hydration "systems" can be fabbed up with Wally world coolers; mounting depends on loadout and imagination. On my other bike, I used a 1/2 gallon insulated cooler, some copper tubing (to get to the bottom of the container), and some clear tubing that I ran up to my jacket. Worked well and I had ~$10 into it. Mounting depended on what my imagination and combo of bungee cords allowed. The priority was to be able to remove/install fairly easily at fuel stops to reload.

I personally don't like the Skyway setup as it mounts off the passenger peg and I use that to put my foot while riding as that is a comfortable position (I have "Brand X" lowering blocks). I had thought of trying to come up with a mount from the muffler mount, but can't seem to think of one that isn't overly complicated and out of the way.

I think I'll just take my insulated container again and bungee it on...

Will most likely have this setup for the NAFO ride, so we can talk about it.

Small soft sided cooler bungeed to rear seat with 1 liter platy bags. Or throw them in the tank bag when Im using one. Cost = free already had everything.

I am tired of missing out on the "Skyway" and would like to try this:
https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html

Who has tried this, and what advice can you give me? OR

Does anyone have a better remedy for a hydration set up?
works great for me. been using one like it for years. before that i'd used a camelback (didn't like that extra weight while riding) and a platypus in the tank bag (didn't like the hot water and the increased risk of leaks onto other things in the tank bag). both of the alternatives were also much slower and cumbersome to refill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen um, never tried one. I use a CamelBack works great, what little weight there is, is soon compensated for and you dont even notice it!

I bought a bite valve drinking tube with a variety of bottle caps from the Aerostitch folks. You buy water/gatorade or whatever and use the appropriate cap. No worries aout growing slime and mold :dribble: in the container. Really I've just settled on using Aquafina water or whatever with the same cap. Put it in the tank bag and drink while on the move.

That's what i've used. Just get a bungie to strap to the bike while resting it on a rear footpeg. Keeps the liquids much cooler than a camelback for longer periods of time. I used a camelback on my ride to/from TX last weekend...i had luke warm water quickly.

for shorter (120 miles or so) trips i'd go with a camelback. If you're hauling a great distance or if it's going to be really hot, use one of these.

You don't have to drill through the side either. You could just run the hose through the spigot. However, by drilling less debris gets into the container and it keeps cooler.

EDIT: when you cut the end that goes into the thermo, cut it at an angle..that way if you shove it too far in the hose won't be sitting flat against the bottom which limits the fluid flow...

Riding solo I use a bladder inside a soft sided cooler in my tank bag. This allows me to put some of those blue cooler things in with the water bladder and will keep it cool for a good part of the day. Like others, I do not want to give up my passenger pegs.

Two up I wear a Camelbak and the soft cooler with the bladder gets moved to the tailbag where the SO can make use of it. I notice the weight at the start of the ride, but it's soon forgotten. Works well for us.