Hyperpro spring set group buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anthony

Just scouting the forum to see if anyone would be interested in a hyperpro spring set group buy. Currently they run about $248 for for both front and rear spring sets. I'm not sure how well they perform on the FJR, but based upon my experience with them on my DL650/VStrom, I would definitely recommend them as an economical performance upgrade for the front and the rear if you have a relatively unused shock.

more info: https://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-springs.htm

We had a GB on these years ago and I bought a set for the front.

I found the Wilbers were either undersprung from their ratings and/or softened up over time, and got rid of them when I did the GP Suspension upgrade.

While it seemed to be a cost-effective (let's say it...."cheap"_ alternative at the time...I've since filed them away personally as a waste of money and effort for the FJR. I found the GP Soqui upgrade to certainly cost more up front, but be far more cost effective for the benefit received.

As for rear springs (that many also got Wilbers shocks)....we generally liked the shocks but also found the springs to either be under rating or softened up over time. My 650 pound spring showed as 618 pounds. Once I replaced it with an Eibach 750 pound spring.....it's been more true to the rating and has stayed that way.

Also, I don't believe the stock rear shock's spring(s) can be replaced....or if anybody has successfully done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was the previous GB on Wilbers or Hyperpro springs?
Both. Wilbers shock and Hyperpro front springs. It was about 4 years ago.

All of my paperwork implies that the fork springs from the January 2006 group buy were Wilbers. I think Klaus starting selling Hyperpro products after he and Wilbers parted ways.

I put progressive fork springs in my '90 Concours (15 years ago along with a fork brace) and it made a huge difference.

I just bought an '08 FJR1300a on Friday and it's time for accessories/upgrades. Consider me tentative. I'll check around to see what the consensus is on what sort of impact replacement progressive springs make. If not that big a difference, then I'll pass. If the price is good enough vs the benefit, then I'm in.

I put progressive fork springs in my '90 Concours (15 years ago along with a fork brace) and it made a huge difference.
I just bought an '08 FJR1300a on Friday and it's time for accessories/upgrades. Consider me tentative. I'll check around to see what the consensus is on what sort of impact replacement progressive springs make. If not that big a difference, then I'll pass. If the price is good enough vs the benefit, then I'm in.

The Hyperpro springs made an enormous difference in the ride of my Vstrom. I preferred them more than the straight rate front springs that I had tried.

According to this thread, Klaus began selling Hyperpro in april of 2007:

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4222.0.html

The Hyperpro springs made an enormous difference in the ride of my Vstrom. I preferred them more than the straight rate front springs that I had tried.

According to this thread, Klaus began selling Hyperpro in april of 2007:

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4222.0.html
OK, then I think I was mistaken. I must have got a set of the Wilbers progressives pre-fallout....because I think it was 2006 or so.

Maybe the Hyperpros are made or manufactured better.

I have HyperPro springs in my AE and they are quite nice. I also had Wilbers front and back on my '04.

The end of the spring has a nice positive seat built into it.

HyperproCup.JPG

And instead of having a spring and a tube, you get one long progressive spring.

ForkSpringComparison.JPG

Seems I have a much wider range for adjustments up front. Are they as good as a cartridge change? Probably not. Better than stock? I think so, but I'm no expert.

I didn't know HyperPro made rear shocks. I have a Penske on the rear of my AE. I like it a lot.

Penske8981.JPG

Seems I have a much wider range for adjustments up front. Are they as good as a cartridge change? Probably not. Better than stock? I think so, but I'm no expert.

Thank you! This is also my opinion...at least on the strom. So who is Interested?

I put a HyperPro rear spring on a year ago. It is a progressive rate spring and I mounted it on the stock shock. They include the instructions with the spring.

Had a dirtbike suspension shop mount the spring to the shock assembly as you need a large press for it. And they also used a long cheater-bar to compress the spring because it is stiffer that the springs they are used to for the lighter dirt bikes.

Results: MUCH improved ride quality AND handling! Both 1up and 2up riding. The ride is amazingly smoother and the handling is better controlled as well. I used to touch the feelers in corners but seldom ever do now, even though I ride the same speeds/roads as before.

I have never had a replacement shock so I can't compare there. But this is definitely a worthwhile improvement over stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just scouting the forum to see if anyone would be interested in a hyperpro spring set group buy. Currently they run about $248 for for both front and rear spring sets. I'm not sure how well they perform on the FJR, but based upon my experience with them on my DL650/VStrom, I would definitely recommend them as an economical performance upgrade for the front and the rear if you have a relatively unused shock.

Is 18k miles on well-paved roads, one-up considered a "relatively unused shock"? Meaning will the rear shock have to get changed soon enough that getting a rear spring would be money wasted? If not, I'm interested.
Alexi

Is 18k miles on well-paved roads, one-up considered a "relatively unused shock"? Meaning will the rear shock have to get changed soon enough that getting a rear spring would be money wasted? If not, I'm interested.
Alexi

It really depends how much you ride, but I would not waste the time putting a new spring on a shock that has 18k on it. You are probably due for a new shock now, or at least by 22k.