I did it.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.hisham

Reaction score
Hi,

Some months back, I came on here to find out more about the FJR1300 as well as to get some feedback on owning the bike, considering I have almost zero experience with bikes. I had lots of feedback and advice from many people - thanks everyone, for your sincere feedback and well wishes. Lots of people advised me against it (the FJR) in favor of a smaller bike. Many asked me to be careful. And some asked me to report back, regardless of what bike I bought.

Well, I went ahead and bought the bike. Its a 2008 model. I got it last saturday and I was, and still am, absolutely thrilled with it. My first impression was that its really heavy. In fact, I actually dropped it on the day I got it - I was still at the dealer's parking lot too. I was caught off guard by the weight - I was making a tight and very slow u-turn and stopped the bike, put my foot down and realized I couldn't hold the bike up because it was leaning too far. So down it went. It was gentle but there are scratches (minor) on the left side mirror and pannier. But since then, I've had no further mishaps :)

And since then, I've done a modest 200 miles already (no where near what the seasoned folks here do in a day), riding in semi busy streets in town, on some highways and some mildly twisty bits - just trying to familiarize myself with the bike during the break-in period and gradually riding into more complex situations as I become more comfortable with the bike. So far, everything seems good. The seat is comfortable and the seating position is good. It actually feels quite light when its moving. The acceleration is awesome - in fact its scary. The windscreen, when up, works quite well. With the screen up, its a lot quieter (I'm only 5'7"). However, I do find that the engine braking is a bit much, even when I ease off in 5th gear. I was told that its because its still new and also because its shaft driven. Plus, both my forearms feel just a bit tired - or even sore. I'm not sure if it is because I'm holding the handlebars too tight and am wondering if its something I'll just have to get used to or if there's something I'm doing wrong.

But anyway, its been an enjoyable experience - and I'm feeling more and more at ease with the bike. I'm looking forward to doing some longer distances after my first service this weekend.

Cheers.

Nik.

Congrats Nik on the new ride. It is certainly a beast when you are stopped. Make sure that you pay attention where you will put your foot down when you stop. If there is a low spot in the pavement or sand/gravel, then you will probably drop the bike. Your first acquisition for your new bike should be sliders to protect it if dropped. This is what I got for mine: OES Sliders

Congrats on the new bike. Do you find your riding with the windscreen fully up most of the time? I know for me on my 03, that this position creates a vacuum pulling me forward on the handlebars. This can cause some of that arm fatigue. Try lowering the windscrden there by letting the wind hold you back relieving some of the pressure. I wear earplugs for the noise, some may advise against it but it works for me. Have fun with it.

Cheers

I suspect some of the muscle pain is from death grip and some from uncalibrated muscles being called upon. Google the Master Yoda riding position, the death grip will go away about the same time as you begin to yearn for a Hayabusa. :)

Welcome, Nik and congrats on the bike! You'll love it

re; the soreness in your arms, IIRC my pain was in my upper back and arms. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to ride the Feej if I was going to feel so miserable after only a few miles. I think it WAS the death grip ;) No pain at all before too long and I put 24000 kms on mine this year :)

ME

Congrats on the new addition.

Low speed maneuvering can be a bit challenging, feathering the clutch is pretty much a necessity..

If your wrists and arms are hurting, you may want to look into a set of bar risers...it may be that you are putting too much weight on them, but it could also be you getting adjusted to her..

Welcome!

Congrats on the purchase. As many have said, relax the death grip and let yourself get used to the bike...pretty soon the initial pain is a distant memory.

--G

Congrats on the bike. I'm a fairly new rider (little less than a year behind the handlebars) and the FJR sure was intimidating (coming from a 800 cc cruiser for two months, and then a tiny honda 919 for a few months after that). See how your forearms feel after more riding, but myself (I'm 5'4), I found that a set of risers went a LONG way to alleviating that pain and having longer rides.

Enjoy, take an MSF basic rider's course (if you haven't already), and enjoy the process of learning the bike.

Alexi

Good for you, Nik. The FJR was my first bike ever when I bought it in '08 @ 61 years old. The first few months I was "the king of the parking lots", learning everything I could and I'm commuting on the San Diego freeways now. Haven't taken any long trips yet, but they're on the horizon. I dropped mine twice in the first month of ownership (zero speed drops, but luckily I had sliders on), and ended up getting the bike lowered 7/8". It made all the difference in the world. No problems since. Good luck, Nik.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.

I actually have asked for frame sliders, and the dealer agreed to give them as a freebie - but its on back order at the moment and will only arrive in a few days. But they are just small stubs - they kind of look like the wheels of a skateboard. I'm not sure how effective it is.

About the death grip - yes, I think I am holding on a bit too tight. Will have to work on that bit. I'm just afraid that if I loosen my grip, I might somehow lose control of the bike. Silly, I know - especially since it will still go in a straight line (or whichever way you lean) even when you let go completely.

Nik

Congrats on your new ride.

As you are brave, yet wise to come to the forum and stay active. I found that the more you read the more quickly your confidence will grow in riding your FJR. Continue to practice low-speed maneuvers in the parking lot, because it those moves you will be using especially if you are already diving into traffic. The soreness will go away, but don't relax too much riding this great machine.

Please, my fellow rider.....read a lot of threads of mishaps and riding techniques, that way when you experience something in real-time you will be more prepared to handle it mentally and maintain control.

Be careful and enjoy.

Congrats on the purchase! Try relaxing more while you are riding and your arms will feel better. Also, check out this site HERE. Lots of great tools to become a better rider. Just keep learning and building your confidence!!! Good luck!

I know it's been mentioned before, but a Motorcycle Safety course would be a good idea. A lot of great info in a short stretch. Good luck on your new toy.

I actually have asked for frame sliders, and the dealer agreed to give them as a freebie - but its on back order at the moment and will only arrive in a few days. But they are just small stubs - they kind of look like the wheels of a skateboard. I'm not sure how effective it is.
Nik
OK...sliders...there really are no frame sliders...there are frame TOG's or tip over guards which barely do a job of protection in a zero mph drop...no good and maybe bad in a crash while in motion and lil bolt pulling on the frame is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sliders mount by replacing a motor mount bolt with the bolt that goes through the slider.

below pic: at the top is a TOG with gremlin bell attached to it...it does reach out past/wider than the plastic by a bit

at the bottom is the slider bolted into where a motor mount bolt was

4292517264_5250f4f7b4.jpg

Hi, Nik.

Have you added sliders? It does awhile to adjust to the weight at a creeper speed. I'm still not confident at tight turns on a tight radius. Must be the learning curve.

Enjoy the bike. You must be comfortable riding in the rain?