I don't know wich one to pick up ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help me ! :huh:
Wich brand ?

Wich model ?

Wich acessories ?

Nicest look ?

Best Install ?
Well Pierre I can give you my opinion. I have a Givi E460 with the Givi rack mount on my 07 and I like it. Givi is high quality stuff and is very tough. I was on a ride a few weeks ago and my trunk came flying off on a bump and it tumbled down the road at atleast 60mph and it didn't pop open and it didn't break. It has some serious road rash but I was very impressed that it still works like a new one. I think the shad's are good quality but I have never owned one myself. I like the looks of the givi trunks over some of the others. I haven't seen any of the coocoo cases in person.

Eric

Givi is the mutt's nuts..I welded up a bracket so that it sits where a passenger would-looks better, centers the weight better and I can lean back on it..Jeese your avitar..I forgot what I wuz sayin.

I had a coocase.. it was crap quality, and I sent it back.. went back to Givi.. quality is above the rest.

I have a SHAD and like it a lot. It has a lot of miles on it, has been packed to the brim, and has had held up well.

Pierre;

It's only money. Buy one of each and sell the ones you don't like . . . . :)

Seriously, I don't use a top case because when I travel I strap a bag on the rear seat and fill the side cases, but in discussions with friends, Shad seems to be reported as the poor man's Givi.

Having said that, if you bought one (maybe the one I linked to in the other thread you started) and didn't like it you would have invested less than you would with a Givi or an OEM box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Shad SH50 and it's great. IMHO, none of them look very good but my Shad is not as detracting as others. You will pay more for the Givi but not get much more for the money.

Pierre;
Seriously, I don't use a top case because when I travel I strap a bag on the rear seat and fill the side cases, but in discussions with friends, Shad seems to be reported as the poor man's Givi.
The J.C. Whitney is the poor mans Givi. It even fits on the Givi rack. The Givi is much finer quality but doesn't really do any better job. I put a J.C. Whitney on my 05 tail rack at 34K and then did a 8K mile trip. It worked just fine then and until crashed off in 07 at a total of 25K miles. Never had a problem with it. I got another one mounted at 59K with new mounting plate. It has done a good job for the past 44K. I must warn you that I had to paint each one to match the bike's color. The last one I also painted the mounting plate and the red plastic to silver. $80.
P1020116.jpg

I just got the Givi E52 with the back pad. It's sitting on a Premier Cycle Accessories sport touring rack. Good quality on both. The rack is a bit big without the Givi installed but it gives a large platform for soft luggage and plenty of tie down spots.

Givi is the mutt's nuts..I welded up a bracket so that it sits where a passenger would-looks better, centers the weight better and I can lean back on it..
This sounds very cool. I'd like to move my trunk up behind me when riding longer trips solo. That would help reduce some of the buffeting that these trunks all produce when 1-up, at highway speeds in the dirty air currents.

What would be uberkool would be a bracket that would flip forward and backward to position the trunk for 1-up and 2-up duty. A guy could probably sell a zillion of them

Can you post some pictures of your bracket, pleeeze??

I have a SHAD, 45 I think, with the color-keyed Galaxy Blue match. It looks great on the bike. The SHAD does not seem to be built quite as sturdy as the Givis my friends have, but it's been fully loaded for about 4500 miles total. Key latch was a bit rough at first, but worked itself out. Oh and on flea bay it was a lot less than the Givi. I'd give the SHAD the nod for value, if not initial quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a SHAD 42 and it works well, and came with a nice mounting bracket for the Gen 2. Money was an issue for me, but the SHAD was well worth what I paid. Not the same quality as the GIVI, but also not near the cost.