I float on my Corbin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldbound4now

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Corbin Canyon Sport seat for my '05 (not the close version) and am having a tough time getting used to it. Granted, I've only put about 100 miles on it, it seems to be rather insecure. The seating surface is a lot wider than the stock seat, but much more firm. It's almost like sitting on a scalloped out wooden kitchen chair, not the sensation I expected. On the softer stock seat, I felt more planted and didn't slide forward on hard braking as I do now. I also seem to be using my arms a lot more to hold me in place. This is quite uncomfortable. Hopefully this will diminish as the polish from the prior owner wears out.

I think the corbin could be a great seat, but am unsure about whether it is right for me. Is it a worn out seat issue that needs to be sent in for new padding/leather, or is it a rider that doesn't fit his seat?

Thanks for the valued input!

Corbin is, er, renowned for their hard seats and you'll find that it is either a love it or hate deal. In all likelihood, it will not soften up much and I predict you'll fit into the latter, previously mentioned group.

The Great and Amazing Carnac predicts a new thread in the Classified section. ;)

I've got a Corbin on my '06. As I have stated time and time again, it's a saddle, not a seat. And it's a brick. A slick brick. Fortunately, it conforms to the shape of my butt fairly well. But after about 10K miles, it hasn't softened any.

I don't hate the Corbin saddle, but it is NOT a comfort seat for me. I do like how slick it is. Makes it easy to move around in the seat.. not that I hang off or anything like that.

Hard to think yours would soften at all considering that there's probably not an inch of padding. Try to make the suspension softer to compensate, but don't expect it to get softer. And it's probably not worn out, either. Don't think that if you send it in that it's going to be much different. If you don't like it, follow Carnac's prediction, then get a Russell or Mayer.

Probably not the best thing to do but I had my Corbin before I had the bike delivered, but do I love it! That being said most of my other riding is on my WR 450f and after a good day of riding your ass feels like a catcher's mitt. I didn't put any miles on the stock seat so I have nothing to compare to other than my last sport which was a BMW K1200RS. That seat sucked, it was as bad as my dirt bike after a day of riding. One thing I love about the corbin is the smuggler behind, it holds you in place during acceleration.

BTW i'm not skinny at all, the shadow of my butt weighs 20 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Corbin on my '06. As I have stated time and time again, it's a saddle, not a seat. And it's a brick. A slick brick. Fortunately, it conforms to the shape of my butt fairly well. But after about 10K miles, it hasn't softened any.
I don't hate the Corbin saddle, but it is NOT a comfort seat for me. I do like how slick it is. Makes it easy to move around in the seat.. not that I hang off or anything like that.

Hard to think yours would soften at all considering that there's probably not an inch of padding. Try to make the suspension softer to compensate, but don't expect it to get softer. And it's probably not worn out, either. Don't think that if you send it in that it's going to be much different. If you don't like it, follow Carnac's prediction, then get a Russell or Mayer.
I finally got some seat time with my corbin front saddle lastnight. You are right, it is a brick but it also fits my shape and it is SOOOOOOO comfy! :clapping: I give the front saddle a thumbs up.

I really liked the Corbin much more than the stock seat. I got used to the mobility. I have the same corbin as you do. Then I got the Bill Mayer saddle on a ride in...I like the Bill Mayer more than the Corbin.

I ran a Corbin on my CBR929, and really liked it. 600 mile days were tolerable. I run the stock sea...saddle on my '05, with an Alaska Leather butt pad, and I like it fine. But I'm a 150-170 miles between fill-ups kind of guy. That way the wife and I can stretch our legs and get a cup of coffee.

My Corbin was hard, too, but better than the stocker on the 929 for those long trips. Well, long by sportbike standards. I know 600 mile days ain't shit for a lot of guys on here.

Give the Corbin another 1,000 miles.

I really liked the Corbin much more than the stock seat. I got used to the mobility. I have the same corbin as you do. Then I got the Bill Mayer saddle on a ride in...I like the Bill Mayer more than the Corbin.
Words of wisdom here.

Get a true custom seat. That simple.

I have the same seat and like it better then the stock seat. 6’1” and 170 lbs. I ride towards the tank and to take a break I slide back. If I put my butt to the back lip it keep to much weight on my arms. I have rubbers on the side of my tank and use my knees to keep me from sliding.

My wife does not like the Corbin at all ( I dare not give her dimensions) and when she is behind me the stock seat goes back on.

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a few K miles and see if I get a bit more used to it. Otherwise it's back to the stock seat and saving up for another farkle I can't afford.