I got christened today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
So I am just doing my part in paying the toll on the way to having breakfast on the beach, then a bump in the ass from the cager behind me. He was hunting for change and must have forgot his vehicle was still moving. No one hurt but left mirror destroyed(hit toll booth) and windshield on left side pretty scraped. I am fine. I will need a new mirror on left side and new windshield. I realize that insurance will pay for the new parts so I thought was my stock windshield perfect. I am only 5' 7" but it did occur to me an extra 2" or so might be better. Should I go for th stock windshield, Yamaha taller or after market. Your experiences will help with the decision. On the way home it is very interesting to ride with a multi cracked mirror. Never realized how important the left side mirror is until you don't have one. :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting punted sucks, glad you are okay.

.....if you move to the north you will be safe for a few months from such things happening.

Getting punted sucks, glad you are okay.Unfortunately, the snowbirds are here in great swarms. My punter was from New Zealand.

.....if you move to the north you will be safe for a few months from such things happening.

So I am just doing my part in paying the toll on the way to having breakfast on the beach, then a bump in the ass from the cager behind me. He was hunting for change and must have forgot his vehicle was still moving. No one hurt but left mirror destroyed(hit toll booth) and windshield on left side pretty scraped. I am fine. I will need a new mirror on left side and new windshield. I realize that insurance will pay for the new parts so I thought was my stock windshield perfect. I am only 5' 7" but it did occur to me an extra 2" or so might be better. Should I go for th stock windshield, Yamaha taller or after market. Your experiences will help with the decision. On the way home it is very interesting to ride with a multi cracked mirror. Never realized how important the left side mirror is until you don't have one. :angry2:
I'm also 5"7 and have the Yamaha touring shield It sucks I will be buy something different in the spring. Glad you were not hurt.

While you're spending $$, get those hyperlite brake lights... I will never own a bike w/o them.
I too believe in the hyperlite brake lights even though they didn't help me (I wasn't braking at the time) when I was rear ended by a 79 year old man.

Just glad your OK!

Cagers generally are driving distracted & I'm glad that idiot didn't take you out while you were moving at any speed. Aftermarket seems to be the way to go as faras windscreens & there are lots of choices.

Another toll booth kiss. That sucks. I got rear ended recently in stopped traffic. The cager claimed he was adjusting his electric seat as he was moving along and wasn't able to brake. It's scary to think how stupid some drivers are, and they're around us all the time.

Hyperlights are great for protecting the rear. Only had one drawback... Occasionally (like at toll booths) the dumb a## cager ISN'T LOOKING FORWARD! :rolleyes:

Brake gimmicks are great for a warm and fuzzy feeling. My thoughts - you could have 2 hot naked young chicks going at it on the back and waving a STOP sign, and you'll still get tagged. People do this for one simple reason - they are NOT LOOKING. If they are not looking, it doesn't matter one single bit what kind of brake gimmick you have going off on your rear end.

Another toll booth kiss. That sucks. I got rear ended recently in stopped traffic. The cager claimed he was adjusting his electric seat as he was moving along and wasn't able to brake. It's scary to think how stupid some drivers are, and they're around us all the time.
If he would have said that he was adjusting a MANUAL seat, I'd buy it, but not with an electric - unless he was looking at the control instead of what was in front of him...

Hyperlights are great for protecting the rear. Only had one drawback... Occasionally (like at toll booths) the dumb a## cager ISN'T LOOKING FORWARD! :rolleyes:
Flashing lights are an advantage since they can catch your peripheral vision when a steady light won't.

https://www.hyperlites.com/

Brake gimmicks are great for a warm and fuzzy feeling. My thoughts - you could have 2 hot naked young chicks going at it on the back and waving a STOP sign, and you'll still get tagged. People do this for one simple reason - they are NOT LOOKING. If they are not looking, it doesn't matter one single bit what kind of brake gimmick you have going off on your rear end.
GUNNY!

Little winky light don't do much for me, either. I usually come to a stop watching my mirror to make sure the next guy comes to a stop and that's what saved my nuts about 3 years ago. Not my little hyper-lights or my lit amber turn signals.

I was sitting on the Ducati behind a car's left brake light and watching the mirror for the white Ford workvan coming to be next at the light. The sucker wasn't visibly slowing and I went from neutral to first as he came. Finally let out the clutch and slid to the left of the car in front of me. The van creamed the rear of that little car, pushing it into the next car up and I actually wound up next to the van's left tail light.

Bob

If you want to save some money on the flashers, just get in the habit of turning your emergency flashers on as you come to a stop. Better than nothing and gives the cagers somthing different to look at and hopefully get their attention.

While you're spending $$, get those hyperlite brake lights... I will never own a bike w/o them.
+1

I've modulated my OEM lights in the past but with the FJR, I didn't want to lose the OEM brake lighting. Adding the Hyperlites gave me the modulation and additional lighting all in one package. The very first time I put brake light modulators on a bike and was riding home from school (night), a tailgater backed off almost half a block where the week before tapping my brake lever had no affect on them. I was sold.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html

Nothing's 100% effective with 100% of motorists but if it helps with some it's better than nothing.

I'm also 5"7 and have the Yamaha touring shield It sucks I will be buy something different in the spring. Glad you were not hurt.

First off, I happy your ok. I know how hard it is to reach the ground at 5'7"

I'm 5'7" as well and was going to say that I'm happy with the Yamaha touring but its the only one I've tried and compared to stock its better. Perhaps I'll wait and see what others say as well.