I got my Westone ES49 Custom Musician's Earplugs today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanAmerican

Reaction score
After reading about hearing loss from motorcycling I decided I did not want to become a statistic. So I made an appointment with an Audiologist (Monara Ledtke, Au.D., CCC-A, www.auhearing.com)in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I told her I wanted to protect my hearing yet still hear things going aound the environment. She suggested Musician earphones and made custom molds of my ear canals. 7 days later I now have them and, WOW, what a difference. I ride in silence yet can hear traffic sounds around me very clearly. It's like riding an electric bike with no wind noise. At $160/pr they are a very good investment.

Music%20Molds.JPG

https://www.westone.com/

I wear the same and can say they are just awesome.

I think it was the best money spent ever on bike related stuff.

How do they compare to ordinary earplugs?
They are more comfortable do a better job of blocking the harmful noise. It's hard to explain. I can put them in and start the bike. It almost silent. However my wife can talk to me from across the garage and I can hear every word she says.

They are more comfortable do a better job of blocking the harmful noise. It's hard to explain. I can put them in and start the bike. It almost silent. However my wife can talk to me from across the garage and I can hear every word she says.
Too easy.

Too easy.
LMOA, You're very strong willed.
No I'm not. LMOA? Laughing My Ovaries Away? :lol:

Sweet. So this might be a great option for in helmet speakers. I have hearing loss from many things including gunfire, aircraft and riding. I'm young (relatively) and the hearing loss is significant. Doc says all this things are hazards but notes the riding (years of no ear pro) is likely the cause.

I'm serious about preserving what's left.

And music through helmet speakers is astonishing with these in. I have 25 db and they really are great.

And music through helmet speakers is astonishing with these in. I have 25 db and they really are great.

"astonishing"... dude... clearly i need to know what kind of helmet speakers you have. ive yet to hear in helmet speakers i would consider astonishing.

The Westone 4r is an earbud that is truly astonishing...

at any rate, what kind of in helmet rig you got?

gotta try it!

i'm glad these plugs seem to work with in helmet speakers... its an option i'd like to consider...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the custom in ear monitors made for myself. Moulded to my ear canal and with the speakers built into them. They are the best single investment I've ever made.

Best of both worlds. Can hear traffic noises but wind noise is non existent. And music quality is astonishing!!

I had the custom in ear monitors made for myself. Moulded to my ear canal and with the speakers built into them. They are the best single investment I've ever made.

Best of both worlds. Can hear traffic noises but wind noise is non existent. And music quality is astonishing!!

sweet. which ones?

someguy

I am running a C3 with Sena SMH10B. The best helmet speaker set I have heard for Bluetooth. I ran a Camos, and the Sena puts it to shame.

The plugs cut 25 DB off every sound. It is why Concert players wear these so they can concentrate on their piece, but still hear the other players.

I can set my helmet on my seat, and listen to it while I take a drink or whatever. It is the best Bluetooth set up I have owned. And while the speakers are fat they fit in the C3 with no issues at all.

someguy

I am running a C3 with Sena SMH10B. The best helmet speaker set I have heard for Bluetooth. I ran a Camos, and the Sena puts it to shame.

The plugs cut 25 DB off every sound. It is why Concert players wear these so they can concentrate on their piece, but still hear the other players.

I can set my helmet on my seat, and listen to it while I take a drink or whatever. It is the best Bluetooth set up I have owned. And while the speakers are fat they fit in the C3 with no issues at all.
i assume you mean Alien Ears C3

https://www.alienears.com/products/186-c3-trile-driver-w-dual-lw-ed-detachable-crd-mitr.aspx

someguy

https://www.alienears.com/products/186-c3-trile-driver-w-dual-lw-ed-detachable-crd-mitr.aspx
It could be a Schuberth C3 Modular Helmet!

someguy

+1 on the helmet, Schuberth C3.

someguy

+1 on the helmet, Schuberth C3.
i'm clear.

I was just looking into this for the first time today, and found this thread. Quite timely. I'm making an appointment for a local audiologist for an ear mold and the Westone units will be the ones I go with. I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there, but I want it done right. Until now I've been using Maxlite greenies which work well, but even being as soft as they are I can't do back-to-back long days with them, pretty sore ear canals on day two.

This is the model that interests me, the Westone "Mulitpurpose Style 40", NRR of 29, and an average attenuation of 40. Looking at all the graphs for each model, this one looks to offer the most noise reduction across the scale, if I'm reading the graphs correctly. https://www.westone.com/hearing-protection-products/custom-fit-hearing-protection-products-0

The rest of their custom fit hearing protection products. https://www.westone.com/custom-products/Custom%20Fit%20Hearing%20Protection%20Products

Last edited by a moderator: