I have an issue with tank bags and need a new one.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
I just returned from Alaska and I noticed that my tank is all marked up from magnets on the tank bag. It's not the issue with magnets, but with small rocks, dirt and other things that get under the magnet and when bag is removed the tank gets scratched.

On black cherry color, this is very visible.

Are there tank bags that would be better then a regular magnatice bag?

Don't know if there are *any* tank bags that won't mark the tank short of going the Bagster route. Twisted Throttle carries the Bags Connection that mount to the gascap ring with a cool male / female adapter. This quick release works well and does hold the bag above the tank.

I have an Engage XL that fits the tank curve nicely and holds everything I need.

Good luck!

--G

Oh, man. I have waited 4 years for this post...

"Carver Tape" is your answer..

ask any peep that knows me or CrZy8... her tank is flawless, even with a magnetic based tank bag.... even after daily riding on 6 miles of dirt road...

oh...

Carver Tape = blue painters tape.. it protects the OEM paint job, it peels off easily, even after being on the tank for months...

but.. it does look ugly..

which is why I like it even more!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small size Engage tank bag from Twisted Throttle and love it. It mounts on a ring installed on the gas cap ring. Easy on and off for filling up the tank and does not touch the tank, it looks like it does tho.

Mac

Regards to the Engage tank bag from Twisted Throttle, once you have items in the bag, doesnt the tank bag touch the tank?

Also, how long does it take to remove and clip the tank bag back on?

Which size is best for FJR? I want something small, just for camera, gloves, cell phone and maps. But, I 100% need a clear map screen on top of bag.

I like it!!

Perfect idea for me. Let me price it out.

Are there any other brands that found similar mounting?

I have the Bags Connection Daypack II. It's small, but holds everything I need for my commute. It's also expandable, so I can squeeze quite a bit in if I'm creative. Even when expanded and crammed full it doesn't touch my tank. Comes off very easy, just pull the release cord and off it comes. Their is an optional map holder that you can buy seperately.
Bag:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859/451/

Map Holder:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2125

Regards to the Engage tank bag from Twisted Throttle, once you have items in the bag, doesnt the tank bag touch the tank?
Also, how long does it take to remove and clip the tank bag back on?

Which size is best for FJR? I want something small, just for camera, gloves, cell phone and maps. But, I 100% need a clear map screen on top of bag.
I have the small Engage bag and No, it never touches the tank. You buy the attachable map holder seperate from the bag , it is also great. As far as time to take it off, how long does it take you to pull a latch string about 1/2 of an inch.

I have had a lot of tank bags over the years and this is the best yet.

Mac

DSCN0037.jpg

Here's mine with the attached map pocket.Great bag with plenty of room for the basics,phone,wallet,small camera,keys,bottle of water etc.

Not to hyjak the thread, but does anyone use a waterproof tank bag? Always seemed dumb to me to have to stop and put on a waterproof cover over a tank bag when it could have been made from waterproof material all along.

Not to hyjak the thread, but does anyone use a waterproof tank bag? Always seemed dumb to me to have to stop and put on a waterproof cover over a tank bag when it could have been made from waterproof material all along.
I'm with you big G. It should be easy...right? Mine has a goofy cover too. :angry2:

Back to the thread though. Think about installing a tank skin. Go look up Tankslapper. They have a kit for FJR's.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
I just returned from Alaska and I noticed that my tank is all marked up from magnets on the tank bag. It's not the issue with magnets, but with small rocks, dirt and other things that get under the magnet and when bag is removed the tank gets scratched.
On black cherry color, this is very visible.

Are there tank bags that would be better then a regular magnatice bag?
I like a strap on. No not that kind, I mean the tank bag silly!

I have a big, cheap, ($85) Nelson Riggs (I think I got from Twisted Throttle?) that straps on. Besides the scratching of the magnet type, I'd be worried that it's easier for someone to just walk off with too.

P1010022_2.jpg

I'm with you big G. It should be easy...right? Mine has a goofy cover too. :angry2:

Back to the thread though. Think about installing a tank skin. Go look up Tankslapper. They have a kit for FJR's.

Cheers,

W2
+1, i've had the 3M film from Tankslapper on since new, and always use the magnetic tankbag, never any scratches on the paint. I mentioned 3M vs the Tankslapper film because it's much better and stronger, also does not fade/turn yellowish...it's worth a few extra bucks difference.

I always put a micro fiber towel under my tank bag. Not a mark on my tank after many miles with the bag stuffed.

Oh, man. I have waited 4 years for this post...
"Carver Tape" is your answer..

ask any peep that knows me or CrZy8... her tank is flawless, even with a magnetic based tank bag.... even after daily riding on 6 miles of dirt road...

oh...

Carver Tape = blue painters tape.. it protects the OEM paint job, it peels off easily, even after being on the tank for months...

but.. it does look ugly..

which is why I like it even more!
I like this idea...i figure by the time i get done with bike, no one gonna buy it with the amount of miles that will be on it...will proally be trading this one in too. It seemed the back of the tank was getting a bit worn from my riding jacket and decided rather than putting one of those protecto thingys on now I would wait and put it on when i go to sell it. it will look new then :rolleyes:

Willie

Have done three trips to Alaska,, and many, many long trips in Canada and the U.S. Usually lots of dust and mud.

On all my bikes I use the Blue masking tape as a base, and then one or two layers of Duct tape. It all peels off at the end of the trip and leaves no sticky stuff.

Do this on any place that might be "sand blasted" or that needs protection from rubbing.

Has worked very well for me.

Longrider

AKA Mucho Miles

I have the small Engage from Bags Connection. It's great for smaller tripa but my plan is to get the bigger one as I would like enough room for my full size camera....I've also noticed that a tank bag for me becomes my "junk drawer" which is handy. Yes the bag will eventually touch the tank which is why I have a Tank Slapper in that area so I dont care. It's easy to take on and off....takes literally 2 seconds.