I love my Hotgrips!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-Voltron

Reaction score
This morning was the first cool morning to which I could actually test my Hotgrips...

I must say, they are truly awesome and work as described. They appear to be very durable and they should last a really long time.

Plus, they're much wider and more comfortable than the stock grips.

Also, their customer service is really awesome. I had an issue with Fedex delivery, and they were extremely helpful in resolving it quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Hotgrips on all my bikes for years and have never had a problem. If you use their controler rather than the high low switch you save a lot of watts for other stuff.

If you use their controler rather than the high low switch you save a lot of watts for other stuff.
Yes, I got their rheostat as well. Much better than the cheesy 3-way rocker switch.

Here's more info on the Hotgrips:

https://www.hotgrips.com/

Upon checkout, there's a list of accessories you can add to your order.

Definitely get their epoxy, because it's rated to slightly higher temp than the max temp of the grips. That way, if you need to remove the grips later on, you can do it without having to cut them off. All you'll need to do is wrap the grips with some plastic-wrap and put the setting on MAX. The glue then melts off.

I installed the Ergo I 520 750 Hot Grips for $75. I used them alot on my Alaska trip this summer and they worked great. The toggle switch didn't have a seal, so I went to Marine West and purchased a screw on rubber boot.

Can't be epoxy if it melts. Epoxy is a thermosetting resin. Once its gone off it's hard forever.
I have installed many sets of Hotgrips and have used various brands of epoxy and there are some that soften with heat to the point the grip will slide around. I always order their brand and have not had it loosen up unless I want it to. Not trying to argue but some epoxy will soften with heat.

Ok, well if you've done it and they were definitely epoxies than some types must soften. I think a true epoxy doesn't soften much as you heat it up as all the molecules are cross-linked so they can't move relative to one another but there are probably millions of different types so some must be designed to soften up.

FJR-Voltron
Which one of the four grip ends did you get? Open ends with no spacers?

thanks
In the comment section of the order, I told them I wanted the cutout ends no spacers, since our bikes have weights.

Mine fit perfectly with the ends cut off.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR-Voltron
Which one of the four grip ends did you get? Open ends with no spacers?

thanks
In the comment section of the order, I told them I wanted the cutout ends no spacers, since our bikes have weights.

Mine fit perfectly with the ends cut off.

I don,t know? I installed the pricey oem Yamaha heated grips last fall on my 08 and although the were costly, they work very well! just wish I could figure how to keep my thumbs warm LOL

So with winter coming and my recent bout with the illness known as Farkleitis my next endeavor will be warm hands....

I'd love to hear what others think about my options....V-Strom hand guards are a given, and the switch is a mini SPDT Hi/off/low mounted in the turn signal housing, so which is a better way to go:

HotGrips Ergo2's (Ergo1's are too narrow at the index finger for my taste) Cost: 75$

HotgripsErgo2.jpg

They are an easy install and come highly recommended by lots of people, but the grip pattern is forever...

or

Dual-Stars and my favorite Sunline Grand Touring Grips Cost: 50$

dualstarkit.jpg
+
Sunline_Grand_Touring_Grips_Black.jpg

Harder install, but cost 1/3 less and I get to use my grips

I gotta be honest I don't get a warm and fuzzy trying to wire the Dual-Stars on my throttle side with my vista cruise.

What say you?

How about some installed pictures. I would love to have some heated grips. I ride with a bmw guy. He's always giving me crap cause his hands are hot.

ed

So, which would be better the Ergo model or the Model 525-875? The Ergo models don't have the "Heat Isolation Ribs". Are they worth the extra money?

So, which would be better the Ergo model or the Model 525-875? The Ergo models don't have the "Heat Isolation Ribs". Are they worth the extra money?
I've ordered the Hotgrips with the heat isolation ribs. I currently have the Symtec with BMW grips. They don't get warm enough, fast enough, for me. I think too much heat is being transferred to the bars. On a cold day you can barely tell it is working. My former BMW bike with heated grips got much warmer. BTW, I've checked all my wiring and the connections are soldered and wire gage is adaquate.

I'd be very leary about trying the Symtecs with grips as thick as the Sunline. I don't think you will get enough heat through all that rubber.

Bob

I have been using the Hotgrips on all my bikes for years and have never had a problem. If you use their controler rather than the high low switch you save a lot of watts for other stuff.
FJRay, did you put an on/off switch in between the rheostat and the power source? When I am not using mine, I leave them on the lowest setting (I assumed that was completely powered off), however I do notice that they are still slightly warm at the lowest setting.

I'm wondering if I should go back and put a power switch in also? The directions do not mention using any power switch. Also, I did install the inline fuse that was supplied with the grips.

I've ordered the Hotgrips with the heat isolation ribs. I currently have the Symtec with BMW grips. They don't get warm enough, fast enough, for me. I think too much heat is being transferred to the bars. On a cold day you can barely tell it is working. My former BMW bike with heated grips got much warmer. BTW, I've checked all my wiring and the connections are soldered and wire gage is adaquate.

I'd be very leary about trying the Symtecs with grips as thick as the Sunline. I don't think you will get enough heat through all that rubber.

Bob
How did you wire the heater elements?

In series with each other or parallel?

It matters.

I had Hot Grips (ribbed on the inside) on my previous bike and they rocked. Don't use epoxy, use a little high temp RTV gasket maker. Don't need much, and way less messy.

The FJR Gen2 has factory heated grips and I wish they were a larger diameter. Grip Puppies help, and don't stop the heat transfer. But the factory grips take forever to get up to temp, but once they do, they will fry eggs if you want to. Have to turn them down to medium toast.