I picked up my 2011 FJR today - best bike ever!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch

Reaction score
Good day fellow forum friends...

I picked up my 2011 FJR today. It is the manual (not electronic) clutch. It was the only one I could find the entire mid-atlantic region, which was new and available...I even got a great price :D

I had a 2005 FJR a few bikes ago, and this bike does have a bunch of stuff my 2005 didn't....like

heated grips

- standard ABS

- color coded glove compartment

- heat emitting vents (which I used today at 45 degree outside temp) which move the fairings outward (near the knees). This allows the engine heat to get to the rider. Pretty neat how they did that...

- new LED readout (to show a bunch of stuff like outside temp, gear indicator, fuel, oil, odometer, etc.

- improved non-skid seat texture

- a bunch of storage space with rubber bungees under the seats

- sleek(er) cockpit

- hinged mirrors, where the mirrors themselves move, not the entire outside component. They are hinged however at the base for easy fold.

I plan to add a few functional farkles, but do not plan to modify the Yamaha performance in any way...

I know the FJR hasn't done a major overhaul in a long time, but I absolutely love what I have now in this 2011...Silver has always been my favorite :)

Great to have a FJR1300 again!

Congrats on the new bike and welcome back to the forum. I'll be ridin my 05 for a while yet. I just bought it last july, it only had 2200 mi on her. The farkles are still trickling in. :D

I'll add my congrats too. I'm a fairly new owner (but 1st FJR) also. It indeed is a great bike.

so why did you leave your 05 and what did you ride in-between FJRs?

Oh... and 2005 mirrors fold at the base also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much folks!

I sold my 2005 FJR1300 as a get out of debt tool, but felt horrible afterward. I did reach out of debt goal though :) The old FJR was well worth the money; seller's remorse.....

In between I owned a KLR5650 as a utility bike. I made it highway friendly, and did a week out in SE Tennessee around the Dragon; it actually held up well!....I then went to the other end of the spectrum and bought a Goldwing (to make my wife comfortable), added a bunch of comfort farkles, and then almost fell asleep while riding - twice! Enough of that!!! I never was drowsy on any other bike, and I have owned ever tying out there with 2 wheels! I also briefly had a VFR800 as a tool to teach Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses. But since I got rid of that GW, the VFR wasn't a prudent 2-up tool for my youngsters...so that had to go too....

So......

I sold the sport bike, and the touring bike, and went back to the tried and true FJR sport-touring bike....The 2012 color is much like the 2005 (not my favorite, but to each their own), but that silver.....mmmmmm.....it is a beautiful bike!

I was trying to get to sleep last night, so I read the owner's manual...I see that the 2011 has a nice seat height adjustment, and it also gives fuel economy data on the LED....I didn't mention those in my post earlier...

Today, I added my first of many pre-planned farkles...I have done as much research as I can stand on a variety of manufacturers of the below farkles, and this is what will be on my Silver Knight by the end of the month....

- SHAD SH-50 (silver) with the extra top mount

- Motivation USA frame sliders

- Motorcycle Larry highway pegs

- Ram mount on left bar clutch bolt for iPhone

- WynPro 5" inch Ram Ball Mount (Ram-bone), which bolt to the tank bolts (for GPS)

Even though it was 32 degrees today, I wanted to run that bike! I calmed down, and opted to stay warm at home " :D

sweet! Congrats! Aren't those grip heaters and air vents (for heat) awesome!

I tell you FJR2011, there is no better bike IMHO that has a better balance of sport performance, 2-up touring comfort, reliability, fuel efficiency, looks, reputuation and price tag. And that is coming from a die-hard Honda fan!

Congrats to both of you 2011 owners. My 2010 is great and I'm sure the '11 is even better. This is a really great balance of features for me with this bike. Missed the sport side of the sprt when I had my VStrom.

Congrats to both of you!!! Enjoy your bikes. I love the silver as well although my opinion is biased. Screw the cold! Get out and rude :)

Congrats to both of you!!! Enjoy your bikes. I love the silver as well although my opinion is biased. Screw the cold! Get out and rude :)
Thanks much guys! Yes, with the heat features on the 2011, I have less excuse to not ride... In fact, I will ride tomorrow! Can't wait!

Thanks for weighing in.....