I think I made a mistake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
I made a mistake buying a 2006 V-MAX. I didn't do enough research, but bought it on a whim / impulse. I loved the bike when I saw it, but didn't test ride it.

Well, those of you who know a V-MAX will know that the bike is a classic and a power plant, but it needs too many mods to get into a stable shape :-( Anyway, make a mistake and learn in this case ...

I am now thinking of buying a FJR.

I am going to test drive it at a Yamaha road show soon, but I also wanted to hear from you guys (or girls) here.

Advice me please based on following.

I have ridden bikes since I was 17. Started off with a 250, 350, 550, 600, then this V-MAX. I like sport-touring bikes with a punch, but utmost stability. V-MAX is too unpredictable for my taste (without mods). I am 6' and prefer to ride 'semi-upright' as opposed to leaning forward for a race. I have kids who love to ride on the back, so that's also consideration.

From what I read so far, the FJR1300 seems to have all the right goodies!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only money. Drop kick the Max and go with the Feej. You won't be sorry. Funny tho, I spotted a loaded up Max (luggage for touring) on Hwy 1 in Big Sur. Never thought of the Max that way...

I think you're going down the right path...

You do need to ride one first, then you can find a really good deal on a used 04/05 if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a new 06 or maybe 07.

You should be able to find another sucker for the VMax ;) without too much hassle or without taking too large a hit.

Perhaps your dealer won't beat you up too harshly on a trade in either.

From a 600 to the V-Max or the FJR is a pretty large jump - MUCH heavier, much torquier and, in the case of the V-Max, very cammy.

Will you LIKE the FJR? You might like a Kawasaki Concours better. That was my last ride - and I really liked it - the FJR is more refined and more 'lushly powerful'. The Kawasaki had more weather protection and cost a bundle less.

I don't regret buying the FJR at all, but if I hadn't crashed the Connie and ridden the FJR during the interim period I probably would have been perfectly happy winding the heck out of the Kawasaki for another 4 or 5 years.

If it means anything, both my kids say that they find the pillion 'too hard' compared to the Connie - my son no longer likes to ride. My daughter, ever the daredevil, goes for rides with me every other week - she's 12.

From a 600 to the V-Max or the FJR is a pretty large jump - MUCH heavier, much torquier and, in the case of the V-Max, very cammy.
IMO a new 600 to an FJR isn't that much of a jump if your used to the 600, those things put out more than 100hp now. :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

It's only money. Drop kick the Max and go with the Feej. You won't be sorry. Funny tho, I spotted a loaded up Max (luggage for touring) on Hwy 1 in Big Sur. Never thought of the Max that way...
Yeah, well the V-MAX forum guys of course love the bike, but with shit load of mods. You would rarely find a max with saddlebags! (They think it's sissy - duh!)

Anyway, I don't care what people think, it's the ride I care about :D

I think you're going down the right path...
You do need to ride one first, then you can find a really good deal on a used 04/05 if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a new 06 or maybe 07.

You should be able to find another sucker for the VMax ;) without too much hassle or without taking too large a hit.

Perhaps your dealer won't beat you up too harshly on a trade in either.
I will try for a 06, but if it's too late will have to put a deposit on a 07. The heat deflection improvements for 06 are certainly worth it.

I will check w/ dealer ... they seem OK guys so far ...

Will you LIKE the FJR? You might like a Kawasaki Concours better. That was my last ride - and I really liked it - the FJR is more refined and more 'lushly powerful'. The Kawasaki had more weather protection and cost a bundle less.

I don't regret buying the FJR at all, but if I hadn't crashed the Connie and ridden the FJR during the interim period I probably would have been perfectly happy winding the heck out of the Kawasaki for another 4 or 5 years.

If it means anything, both my kids say that they find the pillion 'too hard' compared to the Connie - my son no longer likes to ride. My daughter, ever the daredevil, goes for rides with me every other week - she's 12.
Yeah, I know it's a big jump from a 600 to the max, but I find it fast and like it. I can't handle the "bad-handling" is all.

Yes, I have read up on the Kawasaki Concours and I prefer the FJR specs. I will have to have my daugher (7 going on 8) as a pillion for a test drive! Thanks for the heads up.

IMO a new 600 to an FJR isn't that much of a jump if your used to the 600, those things put out more than 100hp now. :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
HP yes, Torque, not so much - those little bikes like to wind. Bigger machines like the ZG1000 and FJ13 make their torque starting at at lower RPMs and are tweaked for broad powerbands. They're heavier too, which goes without saying.

Yes, I know :clapping: I wanted a display name of 'tiger' but it's already taken ...

I think I can handle it fine. The max's torque' engine has me already excited!

The current Vmax is slower than the original.

However the 07 is going to be a monster.

Why the heck did you not wait?

The current Vmax is slower than the original.However the 07 is going to be a monster.

The problem is not that's it's slow. It's one of the fastest street bikes even the 06 model. The stability is non existent at highway speeds. Small bumps, pot-holes makes the bike uncontrollable. So, one has to be careful and watching all the time - that's no fun. As I said, many mods will make the bike stable, but then why bother? I hope the FJR will be close to 90% ideal for me. Will see after a test ride.

The current Vmax is slower than the original.

However the 07 is going to be a monster.

The problem is not that's it's slow. It's one of the fastest street bikes even the 06 model. The stability is non existent at highway speeds. Small bumps, pot-holes makes the bike uncontrollable. So, one has to be careful and watching all the time - that's no fun. As I said, many mods will make the bike stable, but then why bother? I hope the FJR will be close to 90% ideal for me. Will see after a test ride.
You will enjoy the FJR. It is fast and stable. It is a very modern bike. Keep the Vmax think retro! However expect less!

[Yes, I have read up on the Kawasaki Concours and I prefer the FJR specs. I will have to have my daugher (7 going on 8) as a pillion for a test drive! Thanks for the heads up.
You had best be VERY careful with that young lady or you WILL throw her off the back in a heartbeat. The FJ will GO with a slight twist of the wrist. Just ask my wife or see my clawmarks from her digging in if I blip the throttle

[Yes, I have read up on the Kawasaki Concours and I prefer the FJR specs. I will have to have my daugher (7 going on 8) as a pillion for a test drive! Thanks for the heads up.
You had best be VERY careful with that young lady or you WILL throw her off the back in a heartbeat. The FJ will GO with a slight twist of the wrist. Just ask my wife or see my clawmarks from her digging in if I blip the throttle
Thanks for the warning, but my little one is a fast rabbit! She says, "I love it Daddy, faster!". I am the one trying to keep things slow ... I have a waist band rig that she holds on to, it works. I guess she takes the genes from me. My wife is a scaredy cat :p

You do realize that the FJR is as quick as the V-max (or quicker) in the 1/4 mile, don't you? It handles better but is still a 650 lb. bike. While it DOES corner, it isn't as "flickable" as a 600 cc sportsbike.

You do realize that the FJR is as quick as the V-max (or quicker) in the 1/4 mile, don't you? It handles better but is still a 650 lb. bike. While it DOES corner, it isn't as "flickable" as a 600 cc sportsbike.
Yes, thank you Mike. The bike is lighter actually than a vmax and from what I hear, much more refined and controllable. I will test drive it first anyway.

The power is more "linear", i.e., it'll give you what you want but doesn't have the "peak" or "rush" like the V-max. It just keeps goin' and goin' and goin'. OTH, it is absolutely controllable. If you do take a test drive.....

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated! :blink:

The Vmax is nothing like the FJR,do yourself a favor and sell it now and buy a 06A.

vmax92wly.JPG

Don't make the same mistake 2Xs in a row which you'd be doing if you bought the A...buy the 06AE and come join the FORCE.

OK, don't believe me, then at least test drive an AE before you drop the hammer.......and it won't take you long to understand.

You'll remember the first two words out of your mouth when you dismount the AE after the test drive for the rest of your life......

Who want to be yanking on a clutch lever for another 20 yrs anyway.....If you can afford not to, that is!

I too own a V-Max and I love it for what it is- it's clearly not a sport tourer or even a decent highway bike, but it's a blast around town. I installed a Progressive front fork kit and it made a HUGE difference in the handling. and the Supertrapp exhaust sounds like a small block without being obnoxious. Since you haven't broken it in I assume you haven't experienced the vboost at 6500rpm- what a rush!

That being said, I want an FJR for those long trips. I'm keeping the Max and selling the Harley instead! I'll be putting down a deposit on an '07 in the fall.