Idea for motorcycle communication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garylspolar

Reaction score
My wife and I have Verizon Cell phones. My phone has unlimited minutes, a carryover from the plan I had with the provider that was bought by Verizon. Even if I did not have that plan, we have unlimited "in" minutes. We can talk to each other, and other Verizon Wireless customers for free.

I have had no luck with Chatterbox units, they are crap. I then bought two motorola communicators, and helmet mic/earpiece combos that install in my motorcycle helmet. They work fantastic, but are not full duplex. I hit a button and talk, then she does the same. I also get quite a headache if she for some reason puts her communicator on the same side of the bike, close to mine, and causes that horrible interference whine. Works well most of the time, and it's cheap as dirt.

Next idea: I'm thinking that if I simply call my wife before we take off, keep our cell phones in our pockets, and ride until the batteries die in our cell phones (many, many hours), that we could just ride with an in ear mic/earpiece and talk in full duplex whenever we like, and have no interference. Anyone else thought of this idea? Have you tried it yet? I may try it when I ride with my buddy who also has Verizon, soon. I'll let you know what I think, if noone chimes in.

Unless you like doing laps around the mall, you may be riding through many non-coverage zones. A few dropped calls would end the convenience of that plan for me real quick.

Good point, although I haven't dropped a call with Verizon in over a year. Maybe the coverage is better here in Ohio. Crap.... roaming charges.... maybe just a good idea for trips to the mall, as you pointed out.

I have no problems with Verizon and I use my Samsung i730 pocket pc phone with my chatterbox X2 equally with no problems. However there are options like tom tom that has bluetooth that you can hook up your helmet with the headpiece, and I am certain there are much more options for phones.

I just elbow her in the gut when she starts tryin' to steer or I'm tired of her screamin, she waps me in the head when it's time to stop. All the comm gear I need.

I'm a little confused. Does your wife have her own bike? Either way, I have to think that the Starcom would work for you. It certainly would work with cellular, if you were not on the same bike.