Idle Ajust Knob on the 2006???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I noticed that after I tightened my throttle cable and installed my cruise, the idle is up. It was about 1K when I picked up the bike. Now maybe it's 1100+. On an AE, that's not a good thing. I can see it now, the idle causing the clutch mechanism to work and the bike runs away! :blink: Actually, what I did find was that when coming to a stop, the engine seems to rev up, then the clutch kicks in fast and hard. Pretty annoying, if not scarey. Makes stopping kind of a bitch.

Happy to report that the AE is about the coolest bike I remember riding. The fans kicked on today for the first time and I was amazed at how quiet they were. Quite nice!

At any rate, the bike was very hot, and I wasn't about to start digging my hand around inside the cowling until the thing cools down.

So where's that knob?

So where's that knob?
I seem to recall reading that it was in the same general area (moved just slightly), and the knob is no longer a gold color.

But otherwise it's pretty much where it was on previous models: FJRTech: Locating the Idle Adjustment Knob
Thanks Warchild! As always, you got it right. Only difference is that the access is a little tougher, for me, anyway. I kept reaching up in the gill feeling for the knob. It ain't there. The only thing you get in that area is the radiator/fans and THE EXHAUST PIPES!! Not good to reach in there after a hot ride, you WILL get fried.

The idle adjust knob ( tick over wheel?) is on the right side just under the frame. You approach from the rear corner of the fairing and feel up until you are near or at the bottom of the frame. There is a gentle bend in the frame, and the wheel/knob is just there.

FJR1300AE_IdleAdjust.JPG

A couple thoughts on the idle of the AE model:

If the clutch is set to release at 1300, with your idle set too high, you're in for trouble.

When the bike is cold, the idle is up on my bike to 1500 rpms. If you start the bike in gear (AND YOU CAN START THE BIKE IN GEAR!!!!) the bike COULD run away with you!!!!!!! Make sure you fully warm the bike up before moving, and make sure you are in neutral! (I hope there is a temp over-ride on the clutch mechanism. I don't want to test it!)

As I said above, if the idle is set too high, rolling to a stop gets pretty clunky. You won't like it. I'm going to put my idle back down to a grand and see if that makes the bike back in the sweet zone.