If sport touring tires suck.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomosnow

Reaction score
Why not try a sport tire such as Bridegestone Bt 015 which is the standard tire for new Hayabusa . Will it cup or wear a flat spot?? Give it a try .....If it can handle 200 hp and 114 ft-lbs of torque it should be ok for the FJR. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
The enemy of those tires won't be the horsepower ofr torque of the FJR, but the weight causing undue tire flex and the front tire having to turn-in and brake that extra weight.

Its been done but the true sport tires typically don't last long as noted by vectervp1.

Just an observation but ...there just doesn't seem to be any tire out there made by man for the FJR that will

A: not cup

b: not flat spot

c: not wear out in 4000 miles

d:not vibrate and wobble

Is there no one that is satisfied with their tires??

Actually, I get pretty good mileage out of PR's and Avons. I took my PRs off @ 5,000 miles because I had a long trip planned. They are in the garage to be remounted when the 021s (from the WFO 3500 mile adventure) are tossed. I'm guessing there's another 2500+ miles left on the PRs.

Of course I DO get flat spots on the rear. I commute on freeways and that is bound to cause the center of the rear tire to wear quicker. Its just the nature of my type of riding, just as uberkul wears the edges out on his tires because most of his riding is done in the Sierras. It doesn't mean one style of riding or one brand of tire is "wrong", we just don't ride am adequate balance of different roads to wear our tires evenly.

The only tires I have really had issue with are the new 'Stone 021's and even that was MY fault because with the bike fully loaded, including the top case and the tailbag mounted on the pillion loaded with tools and First Aid equipment, I "pushed" (enjoyed, was exhuberant with) the tires on twisty roads. Assuming you understand "hanging off" a fully loaded sport tourer on NorCal twisty secondary mountain roads at speed is pushing the envelope of tire wear/response to input.

No way I can blame the tires for that.

A. no cupping on 021s or PRs

B. flat spot is a response to freeway riding and extreme acceleration @ on ramps

C. mileage mentioned above

D. no "wobbes" from PRs or 021s

So, I'm satisfied but I'm still awaiting a tire that will stick like glue and last 15K miles! :rolleyes:

Sheesh, another lengthy response. I'm starting to sound like the "old" MM2...I must be getting better!

Last edited by a moderator: