If You Could Only Have 5 Motorcycles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I started a thread like this elsewhere and it was well received.

Let's day dream a little.

I know that some of us are blessed to have a stable of motorcycles that suit our every whim. But most of us have only the time and/or money for one. However, what if the stars aligned right, all of your prayers were answered, you won the lottery, or _______________ (fill in the blank to describe it)......

What if you were suddenly blessed with the money and time to own, maintain, and most importantly - ride 5 motorcycles? Which 5 would you pick?

In 4 years, my "List of 5" has changed repeatedly, but if forced to declare winners today:

1. 2014 FJR (non-ES on a matter of principle)

2. 1986 Red, White, and Blue Honda 700s Nighthawk

3. A Yamaha V-Max with rear sets and lots of motor farkles including ridiculously loud exhaust pipes for Bike Nights and an occasional run to the drag strip.

4. A 250-350cc dual sport with hard luggage.

5. A 600 cc-750 cc sport bike that I could learn how to ride on a race track.

What a stable that would be!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ever owned two bikes in my life, and the first was an '84 Nighthawk 700S in blue and black. My list would likely start out like yours for positions 1 & 2 (substuituting the 84 blue/black 'Hawk), but after that I'm not sure where I'd go.

1. 2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES

2. MV Agusta F4 Senna

3. 600cc track bike (oh, we are dreaming? Yamaha M1)

4. BMW R1200GS

5. Yamaha WR450F

1. 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Got it.

2. 2012 BMW K1600GT - Got it.

3. 2009 BMW F800GS - Got it.

4. 2015 BMW R1200GS - Next purchase!

5. 1974 BMW R90S - To replace my beloved "Dieter" I sold in 1986 to get a BMW R80RT, selling mein Dieter was the stupidest move I've ever made. jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Wow. My first two have already been nailed, but I'll repeat anyway.

1. 2014 FJR 1300ES, but in 2009 color scheme.

2. MV Agusta F4 Senna.

3. Ducati Panigale (I forget if it's the "S" model or the "R" model that's the top of the line).

4. 1993 Ducati 888 SPO - with full Termignonis and race chip (The single best-sounding motorcycle I've ever heard......Doug Polen at Brainerd for WSB, and at RoadAmerica in AMA)

5. Kawasaki 750 two-stroke triple. For the sound, and to show me just how good the current bikes are.

1. 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Got it.
2. 2012 BMW K1600GT - Got it.

3. 2009 BMW F800GS - Got it.

4. 2015 BMW R1200GS - Next purchase!

5. 1974 BMW R90S - To replace my beloved "Dieter" I sold in 1986 to get a BMW R80RT, selling mein Dieter was the stupidest move I've ever made. jes' sayin' and nuff said!
Daaaamn. How do you share the riding time?

I think a lot of people would be surprised by how many motorcycles you can afford given a moderate income and the space to keep them, along with a willingness to ride em after the first owner takes the hit on new bike depreciation. Unlike my friend Beemerdons that appears to have a money tree in his backyard, I've assembled my stable primarily from used late model bikes that in generally are not very expensive and in total, cost me less to purchase than a well-equipped Toyota Corolla, and only slight more to insure.

1. 2008 FZ1 - purchased new but year old - $8500 OTD

2. 2008 FJR - purchased with 7k miles - $7000

3. 2001 YZF600R - bought for my son to ride - $2800 (paid too much for this one)

4. 2006 DRZ400S - $2500

5. 2006 ZX6R track bike - $5000 fully equipped for the track

Total - $25800

So I'm livin' the dream but on a much smaller budget!!

Now if the wife would let me, I'd probably add one more but that would move me into Beemerdons territory - take a look at this guy. $72.5k for a WSBK capable electric motorcycle - that's something I might break open the piggy bank for! 160hp, 130ftlb torque at 0 RPM, Brembo brakes, Ohlins suspension, integrated camera with telemetry, HUD projected into your helmet, Marchenisi rims, all along with a claimed 140 mile "real world" range.

take a look https://www.mission-motorcycles.com/rs

home-rs-bike-small-5129317d41121bedefd3e636f6c973e4.png

I am not a company rep, but did spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express earlier this year.....

I'll bite.

1) 2013 FJR1300 (2014 color is a bit much for me)

2) A 700S Nighthawk (Black & Blue, or RWB) - This is the bike that made me want to start riding.

3) 2014 CB100EX - Just announced. I like the feature set better than the CB1100.

4) A Honda 919 - Any year as long as its black.

5) We'll say a Honda Goldwing GL1800. Old man bike, I know. But for 2 up riding, nothing better.

Estimated budget = $67,500

1) FJR1300. I'd like a new red '14 ES since money was no object. This fills the long distance 2-up touring billet.

2) KTM 990 Adventure leftover. Not interested in the new 1200cc Adventure. Too much electronic control shit. This is the bike I'd want for most day rides and general 1-up riding. I know a lot of people "don't get it" when it comes to the ADV bikes. Most have never ridden one.

3) KTM LC4 Enduro fitted out with hard bags and such for multiday off pavement touring. Might be a bit redundant with #2, but the lighter weight of the LC4's is a big advantage when the going gets rougher.

4) Ducati Hypermotard or Aprilia Dorsoduro. On road hooligan bike, but not so fast I'd kill myself on it.

5) Norton Commando 850 - This one would be like Lone Waite's rock candy. "...it's not for eating. It's just for looking through."

Uff da, only 5?

1) Wing...Got it

2) KTM Supermoto Got it

3) KTM 350 EX, replace the KLR

4) Ducati Diavel

5) Aprilla Tuono V4

#2,561) Hardley Ableson

1. 2008 FJR - Got it

2. 2013 BMW F800GS - Got it

3. 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S - Got it

4. BMW SS1000RR - Someday

5. GSXR 750 track bike - Someday

I have 4 other bikes in the garage and yes I am running out of room. I'm always shuffling bikes around.

Wife - 2013 F700GS and 2009 KLX250

Son - 2011 KLX110L and 2005 TTR230

2014 KTM EXC500

2014 FJR (like my'12.. just better...and red... right?)

2015 R1200GS ADV

Ducati 1199 Panigale

2014 Zero DS

I started a thread like this elsewhere and it was well received.
Let's day dream a little.

I know that some of us are blessed to have a stable of motorcycles that suit our every whim. But most of us have only the time and/or money for one. However, what if the stars aligned right, all of your prayers were answered, you won the lottery, or _______________ (fill in the blank to describe it)......

What if you were suddenly blessed with the money and time to own, maintain, and most importantly - ride 5 motorcycles? Which 5 would you pick?
Okay...I've got lots of money, right?
  • 2014 FJR - ES
  • 2014 R1 - track
  • 2014 R6 - track
  • some brand new dirt bike to see if I like doing single track or just plain dirt out in the middle of fricken no where.
  • some brand new dual sport to see if I like touring the dirt and back roads on that sort of bike...or whether I just tour the back roads on the FJR like now.
...and if I have all this money, the first thing I am going to do is quit my job (have all this money, right?) and take 2-3 years, or however much it takes to tour the world on all of my bikes, Europe, New Zealand, heck...Tierra Del Fuego just because. I may camp, but most likely I'll have my crew park the toy haulers wherever we are...I'll select the weapon of choice and do that for a day, and call them to meet me wherever I end up that day.
Rinse.

Repeat.

I may even learn to like to eat food made from creatures with exoskeletons...

I do all this until the alarm clock rings, and I wake up.

Already have a wing and a FJR so I would add.

pre 07 KLR

Mid 70's BMW airhead of some sort

Some kind of Harley so I have chrome to polish.

Simple minds have simple needs

Honda NR750 (tried to buy one from George Barber, I was told "He only buys bikes, never sells")

2014 FJR in Red

Honda Rune

2x 250cc dirt bikes to use with my Grandson

Lots of cash, hummm .... I have the FJR, Gas Gas, Norton, BMW 60/5 (brother Bill & I own it).

One more bike would be a Yamaha Tenere that I keep in a garage in France close to the Alps. Just as well dream big!