Ignition key doesn,t want to turn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
All of a sudden my key doesn,t want to turn in the ignition? I,ve got to play with it for several minutes before it will let me fire up. A friens says its because the inside tumblers are messed up from me washing the bike so much. He claims that water has gotten inside and is locking up the mechanism. Any idead why this is happening?

All of a sudden my key doesn,t want to turn in the ignition? I,ve got to play with it for several minutes before it will let me fire up. A friens says its because the inside tumblers are messed up from me washing the bike so much. He claims that water has gotten inside and is locking up the mechanism. Any idead why this is happening?
Maybe you can try just a little wd-40 or a little graphite to free it?

Lube won't hurt.... WD40 and graphite, then insert and remove key several times to work it around. Also, if the center portion is pushed down, it won't turn on. That position is for putting the handlebars in lock position.

Maybe you can try just a little wd-40 or a little graphite silicon spray to free it?
I'm not a big fan of putting partly conductive graphite in a lock that also contains electrical contacts. In theory the electrical contact part of the switch is isolated from the tumblers but why risk it if you don't have to?

We assume the key works fine in the gas cap and bags so we can infer that it isn't bent...

The little spring cover over the ignition switch key slot is only slightly water resistant and over time the cover ceases to prevent water infiltration completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Syncronicity. Mine ('07) started to do the exact same thing yesterday (after I got it back from its 80000 km service from the local Yamaha shop on Friday). I squirted some Q4 in there, and that improved things, but it still is a bit sticky. After some experimentation I've figured out the right movement to get it unstuck (pushing it 'up' in the slot). If it does not improve, I guess I'll have to make another plan, so this thread is timeous.

I hardly ever wash my bike since I ride it every day and it will just get dirty again. It does get a wash every 10000 km when it gets serviced. The shop rlikes to give me back a clean bike. :)

I find that WD40 attracts grit and gunk faster than using a decent aerosol silicon spray lube. In things like saddle bag locks and ignitions that can end up being a big deal over the life of the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan to use one of the many silicone spray lubes available (and you plan to use it around plastic...?) it may be a good idea to give the 'contents' a good read? Some of the hydrocarbons in the aerosol/carrier (in some brands)are often not compatible with some plastics.