Ignition on 06 blew out, Think i can find replacement quickly?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fauropitotto

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to the forums, my dad has been active on here for some time, but I figured now would be as good a time as any to join and get more involved.

A few days ago, he read somewhere on here of a guy's bike shutting down on him because the ties holding the wire harness to the ignition was too tight, and over time, pulled the wire out of housing itself.

I believe the same thing has happened to me. Taking off from a traffic light, the bike just shut down, like flicking a switch. I checked all the fuses (including the main 50A fuse), only to find they were all fine with the exception of my headlight fuse (which, when replaced, had no effect) . In a parking lot with the bike in pieces, I decided that I could not fix it at all.

Over the course of walking 20 mins both ways to get some metric hex tools, waiting 4 hours for a tow truck, 3 complete strangers trying to help, and missing my class the next day waiting 3 hours for a tow to a dealer all in a not-so-good part of town..... I must say its been quite frustrating.

I called the dealer today, and they gave me both good news and bad.

1) It will be covered by the warrantee

2) Part No. 5PS-82501-10-00 Main switch steering lock........is on back order.

They said a wire inside the unit was defective, and the entire unit would need to be replaced at $137. Greg at University Motors gave me a great price at $72.62 however, he also said that it would have to be ordered from japan, as it was on back order.

The yamaha customer service informed me that they expect it to be in around Apr 23. I commute and hour every day for school....and waiting nearly a month to get my bike back is unacceptable. Even if i expedite the order, i'm still up a creek.

That's where FJR forum comes in.

The 06 and 07 part numbers are the same. However, the 05 and earlier models are not.

Does anyone on here have a wrecked bike or anything of the sort with this part in it?

Do you think it would be possible to jerry-rig my own ignition from some other motorcycle? At least until the part came in?

What are your thoughts on this?

- Fauro

TL;DR - ignition blew on 06 FJ. Need replacement fast. help plz

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I have no help to offer but I do have a question: Is Yamaha also going to give you the matching 3 additional lock cylinders for the luggage and the one for the seat-lock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you go jerry-riggin, you may want to consider what that might due for the warranty claim when the new parts become available....

PM Dcarver to be sure, but I think we used a wire nut to connect the red and brown ignition wires together, turned the key on and it started and run for a couple weeks that way.

PM Dcarver to be sure, but I think we used a wire nut to connect the red and brown ignition wires together, turned the key on and it started and run for a couple weeks that way.
Yes. you can even eliminate the entire key switch with a double pole double throw switch. Just remember that the big wires connect to the big wires, the little wires to little wires.. :rolleyes: Oh, then be sure to use the ignition lock to lock your forks and maybe even use a disk lock?

DeathValleyFeb2007018.jpg

Hey,I'm new to the forums, my dad has been active on here for some time, but I figured now would be as good a time as any to join and get more involved.
Just wondering who your dad is? If he's real nice, maybe he'll let you use his ignition for a while? ;)

We finally decided to just let yamaha deal with it. Part should be in on the 13th, so we'll see how long it would take even with the shipping expedited (Yamaha Customer Service is awesome) They wont replace the other 3 locks, so i'll have two keys, one for the ign, and the other for the bags and the seat. Although that might be a hassle I'll be happy to just get back on my own machine again.

Thanks for the help folks. Perhaps we can organize another meet some time.

btw, his handle is 'ONE MORE BIKE'

I commute daily in the Tampa/USF area.

Yes. you can even eliminate the entire key switch with a double pole double throw switch. Just remember that the big wires connect to the big wires, the little wires to little wires.. :rolleyes: Oh, then be sure to use the ignition lock to lock your forks and maybe even use a disk lock?

DeathValleyFeb2007018.jpg
Has anyone ever documented how to do this? My knowledge of electrics is very poor (which is why I took part in the group buy of the electrical book recently), but this could be a veryuseful thing to know in a pinch.

gypsy

We finally decided to just let yamaha deal with it. Part should be in on the 13th, so we'll see how long it would take even with the shipping expedited (Yamaha Customer Service is awesome) They wont replace the other 3 locks, so i'll have two keys, one for the ign, and the other for the bags and the seat. Although that might be a hassle I'll be happy to just get back on my own machine again.
Thanks for the help folks. Perhaps we can organize another meet some time.

btw, his handle is 'ONE MORE BIKE'

I commute daily in the Tampa/USF area.
Fauiropitotto (damn, that's a handful to type).. if you want, Yamaha will pay a locksmith to rekey your ignition with your old key. Their dime. I had mine done that way. It was kind of a pita, as it make the overall job longer e.g. bike out of service longer, but now that's all said and done I'm glad I went this way..