I'm in need of advice!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow2lrn

Reaction score
I need a little advice. My wife ordered me a set of t-rex-racing sliders for my 04 fjr. I got home from work early last night,removed the side fairing covers and removed the factory engine mount bolts. I tried installing the bolts supplied with the sliders but they only turn less than 1/4 turn before they snug up, unlike the factory ones which can be finger tightened easily. I'm afraid to force it in ... anybody think they sent me the wrong bolts??

Bill

Bill, whatever you do don't force anything. It may not be the correct thread on these bolts. Take the OEM bolt and lay the threaded parts of the bolts together, and see if they match up. If your not sure go to your dealer and ask your mechanic if it's the same thread. Don't remove both engine bolts at the same time, do one side at a time.

Don't put any lube on the bolts when you reinstall them, and don't over torque them (30-35 f/lbs)

Sounds like the thread pitch is wrong. Most hardware stores have a nut display in both metric and SAE in fine and course thread. Take the OEM bolt and use the display board to see what it is and then try the slider bolt.

Motor mount bolt torque is 40 LBS/FT

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the ones which have stripped with 40 lbs/ft were done with some sort of lubricant on the threads. I use anti-seize and torque them to about 35.

It is OK to remove both engine mount bolts at the same time, just tighten the left side (clutch side) first.

I need a little advice. My wife ordered me a set of t-rex-racing sliders for my 04 fjr. I got home from work early last night,removed the side fairing covers and removed the factory engine mount bolts. I tried installing the bolts supplied with the sliders but they only turn less than 1/4 turn before they snug up, unlike the factory ones which can be finger tightened easily. I'm afraid to force it in ... anybody think they sent me the wrong bolts??

Bill
I'll take a bet that they have supplied you with a standard M12x1.75mm thread and not the M12x1.25mm fine pitch variety which is what you need. As advised, do not try to install any bolt that will not easily follow the existing threads.

Well then you and Ian from Skyway better have a talk because that is what he recommends.
As for the torque specs, the service manual for '07 have reduced the spec on this bolt from previous model years, so my updated install instructions reflect this. The new set that's on it's way to you will reflect this.

"As for the torque specs, the service manual for '07 have reduced the spec on this bolt from previous model years, so my updated install instructions reflect this. The new set that's on it's way to you will reflect this."

I stand corrected then. Thanks Ian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metric bolts come in three threads 1.25 -- 1.50 -- 1.75. The FJR uses the fine thread for the motor mount bolts -- 1.25. All are the same size 12 MM but putting in the wrong thread count will ruin the motor threads which are in aluminun not steel. The reason for tightening the left bolt first is to keep the drive shaft aligned properly. There is a pinch bolt on the right side that holds a sleave in the proper place and to just put on sliders you don't need to losen that bolt.