Importing Parts to Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwavey

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing what Canadians have experienced ordering goodies from the US and overseas. What are the advantages/disadvantages compared to ordering through local Canadian dealers? Who are the good dealers to order from? Any hassles with Customs brokerages or Canada Post? Do some things get across easier than others, ie, US-made parts covered under NAFTA? Does ordering non-US made parts from US dealers make a difference vis-a-vis ordering from dealers in other countries?

I always insist that vendors ship using USPS because UPS and FEDEX rip you off with fees when shipping economy or ground, where Canda Post charge a sliding scale that seems to start at $5 to process the import.

If the goods are declared a 'Motorcycle Accessories" you will only be hit up for taxes. No duties.

As to who is good? I'm too new to the Yamaha to comment - but Gary Murphy at https://www.murphskits.com/ now sells OEM parts for prices similar to RonAyers and he'll be getting any US business for that class of product that I may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always insist that vendors ship using USPS because UPS and FEDEX rip you off with fees when shipping economy or ground, where Canda Post charge a sliding scale that seems to start at $5 to process the import.
If the goods are declared a 'Motorcycle Accessories" you will only be hit up for taxes. No duties.

As to who is good? I'm too new to the Yamaha to comment - but Gary Murphy at https://www.murphskits.com/ now sells OEM parts for prices similar to RonAyers and he'll be getting any US business for that class of product that I may have.
+1 on USPS - all of my farkles have come from the US or England (Carbtune, R&G Sliders) UPS and Fedex charges are often more than the parts :angry2: ...the 90 Degree tire valves come to mind.... Note that Gary at University Motors will ship USPS to Canada and can get you almost anything for your ride - Yamaha or OEM...so when you buy those Avons or that V-Stream windscreen at that incredible price, go ahead and order some fairing fasteners, windshield screws, and crush washers...

If you are close to the border you can ship to a UPS store in the US and then go for a run to pick it up, They will hold the shipment for 14 days.

Up to you if you declare them on the way back.

-10 on the UPS and Fedex Charges I got nailed $70 handling charge for a $50 part.

If you do go USPS expect a couple of weeks before you see them.

Chris

+1 on USPS - I insist on all my orders from down south they ship USPS or I find another supplier.

UPS and FEDEX brokerage will kill you everytime.

I have used different ways.... but I find that Canada post works well as can expected. Still they charge a $5 service charge plus what ever the tax is (PST and GST)

Side note : If I buy a something in Alberta I don't get charged the PST but if I buy something from the US I have to pay PST I hate customs!

i have everything shipped to a us ups store. by taking it across myself i can explain to the customs people that motorcycle parts are duty excempt no matter where they are manufactured. many times the agent won't even bother charging the tax on items under $100.00. the ups store is happy to hang on to the packages untill i can make the trip.

derek

hammer_sickle_b_r.jpg

What are the advantages/disadvantages compared to ordering through local Canadian dealers?
Price may be the advantage. The disadvantage is Customs.

Right now 1 CAD is about 0.89 USD, so compare prices before ordering out of the best country going.

Like the others said, only use USPS. The rest charge fees.

Get the company to indicate "Motorcycle Parts", as they are normally exempt duty.

You will have to pay the taxes and the odd handling fee from customs.

Like everyone else has said. Stay far far away from UP$. (There's a reason Canadians spell UPS with a dollar sign!) Their brokerage fees are bull$??t!

Whenever possible I go USPS. But... be careful. If they ship it "regular mail" it can take over 6 weeks sometimes for the stuff to arrive. There are huge customs backlogs with the crackdowns after 9/11 and its really slowed down the process. However, the "priorty express" (I think that's the name of the service) offered by the USPS will get here in a week or two. I try to use this whenever possible.

Hope this helps.

Colin

We have been ordering from the USA and overseas for a few years now.

Living in Vancouver we simply have all US items shipped to Pt. Roberts Wa to the Letter Carrier where we rent a PO BOX.

If you live close to the border get a Nexus Card for special border crossing lanes and self declaring tax and duty forms. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/nexus/menu-e.html

As far as not paying taxes, is it worth the fines and possible charges to save 100 dollars? With the border becoming more of a hassle and the last thing one wants is to have a note on their file that you have been caught smuggling

For tires SW Mototires delivers 2 or more with no shipping to USA addresses except AK and Hawaii.

For Overseas, mail seems best cost wide but sporadic I got one set of 06 Yamaha FJR sliders from England in 5 days - then a second set in 9 weeks

the last thing one wants is to have a note on their file that you have been caught smuggling
+1.

I wouldn't condone anything illegal. It can be all bad when you get caught.

Customs has a lot of power. They can pay you a visit at your residence if they want.

Also, they may be idiots sometimes, but they are not stupid.

e.g.

Travelling back into the GWN on bike.....

"Hello Sir, how are you. How long were you in the U.S".

"Just one night. I went to visit a friend of mine".

"Did you buy any motorcycle parts and put them on right away, and you have them on right now, undeclared ?". :eek:

powderhound, you may have misunderstood my post. i didn't say that i'm trying to duck the tax. i attempt to claim everything. but when the customs agent hands back the paperwork and say's they're not going to bother with it i say thank you.

derek

powderhound, you may have misunderstood my post. i didn't say that i'm trying to duck the tax. i attempt to claim everything. but when the customs agent hands back the paperwork and say's they're not going to bother with it i say thank you.
derek
Hi Derek,

I understood that you were not implying ducking the tax. Nothing is nicer than getting up to the booth declaring some stuff and being waved though. Since 911 the information stored and tracked has grown in leaps and bounds

It has been my experience recently that Nexus card holders are being pulled in for secondary inspections both ways. I cross at least weekly and the more I cross the more respect I am getting for the data that Customs have right in the booth at their finger tips.

Example, last fall I went to the Letter Carrier on a saturday (Pt .Roberts) then the next crossing at Blaine to see the Seahawks, we were immediately questioned about where we went between leaving Pt Roberts and 30 hours later crossing again. Please note we were in different cars but the passport scan tells all.

When I pull up at the border and if Nexus is closed I often get asked, "so what did you buy for your motorcycle this time." before I even get to mey verbal declaration. Apparently what type of goods I declare is on the system. Once I shipped some MC parts out that Ih ad sold on EBAy at Pt Roberts that has now set up the "mailing out any Ebay sales question" ( US charges 5 bucks per item)

The discussion to raise the basic exemption limits to 1,500 - 2,000 per visit will allow a lot of customs folks to work on more pressing matters than tax collection of small sums.

Do parts coming from Down Under, the UK or Europe get the same tax/duty treatment as those coming up from the US? Best to get stuff through the mail system from those places too?