Impressions of the Triumph Sprint ST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipset

Reaction score
On my trip this week to Deal's Gap, I got the chance to ride a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST ABS model. I must say, I was a bit impressed. To most people, I describe my bike as being the child of a Goldwing and an R1. Some of the comfort, a lot of the power. The FJR is very much a true sport touring motorcycle. The Triumph, simply put, is a sport bike with touring duties.

When I was looking at Sport Touring motorcycles, I had looked at nearly everything, but somehow neglected the Triumph.

Here's what I thought after about 400 miles on it. This included the Cherohala Skyway, the Dragon, and various other roads in the area.

First, the Sprint sits up higher than the FJR. The bags are smaller, but because the Sprint is thinner, it makes it look like it has a fat ass. The ergonomics are definately more sportbike than sport touring. You lean into the cockpit, and it definately feel like a cockpit. But, it is a heavy lean, and I like the longer ride feel of the FJR.

The transmission is much smoother and a shorter throw than the stock FJR. I know the R1 shifter can be put on the FJR. I really liked the feel of the transmission over my FJR (or any Yamaha I've owned, R1 included).

It is also much easier to throw into a corner. Again, it is very flickable and much more sportbike like than the FJR. It feels much lighter. It is easy to manuever on foot, as it doesn't have as much weight. That, and it has a single sided swingarm and undertail exhaust (oh, so sexy).

The seat is much smaller and all one piece. It is a pain to remove (I didn't, but was told). It is thinner up front, which was very comfortable. It still wore on me and I had to make adjustments on it, but I would have to get a custom seat for it.

The cluster was nice, easy to read. Had lots of options including a top speed indicator.

The powerplant is definately different than the FJR. The FJR blows it away in torque. While the Sprint engine winds up quickly and will get you moving, it is nothing like the shear force the FJR's engine gives you. The torque on the FJR is a huge advantage.

The pre-2006 FJRs get some complaints about heat. Well, it turns out the Sprint does as well. The heat source is a little higher and not quite as intense. I didn't get it too hot, but I did feel some. It's not noticable while wearing gear, I am told.

According to the Hard Numbers in Motorcyclist (I believe), the Triumph actually has a lower 1/4 mile time.

So, while riding the machines, I can say I definately prefered the FJR in many of the situations we rode in. However, on the Dragon, it was much easier to sling the Triumph around than the FJR. The FJR just felt heavy and you had to work it more than the Triumph. I wouldn't have believed it, until I rode them back to back.

In all, I am glad I have my FJR. I think it is a better Sport Touring motorcycle than the Triumph. If I was looking for a commuting machine with bags for holding stuff (but not helmets, as the bags aren't big enough), I might consider the Sprint ST. For more serious long distance, I don't think it would work well for me. However, John has put over 3000 miles on his this week. So, YMMV.

In all, I am glad I have my FJR. I think it is a better Sport Touring motorcycle than the Triumph. If I was looking for a commuting machine with bags for holding stuff (but not helmets, as the bags aren't big enough), I might consider the Sprint ST. For more serious long distance, I don't think it would work well for me. However, John has put over 3000 miles on his this week. So, YMMV.

When I was looking for a sport tourer in '03, I narrowed it down to the Sprint and the FJR. I went with the Sprint. With the off-road Triumph exhaust and re-map, the Sprint was definitely the sweetest sounding bike I've ever heard. A very competent Sport Tourer with the tilt towards sport.

Fast forward to 2005, Yamaha says they've fixed the little things that kept me from buying the FJR two years earlier. Plunked down the 500 and put the Sprint up for sale. I hated to see it go, but the old lady's Z ain't gettin' bumped out to the driveway (yet). I loved the Sprint, but after two months on the '06 FJR, I know I made the right choice.

BTW, my helmet fit in the bags just fine. You got a buckethead or what? :D

When I was looking for a sport tourer in '03, I narrowed it down to the Sprint and the FJR. I went with the Sprint. With the off-road Triumph exhaust and re-map, the Sprint was definitely the sweetest sounding bike I've ever heard. A very competent Sport Tourer with the tilt towards sport.

Fast forward to 2005, Yamaha says they've fixed the little things that kept me from buying the FJR two years earlier. Plunked down the 500 and put the Sprint up for sale. I hated to see it go, but the old lady's Z ain't gettin' bumped out to the driveway (yet). I loved the Sprint, but after two months on the '06 FJR, I know I made the right choice.

BTW, my helmet fit in the bags just fine. You got a buckethead or what? :D
You bring up a good point. The exhaust sounded so sweet on the Sprint. Nice rumble to it. I describe the FJR as a cross between an R1 and a Godwing. The Sprint is like a R1 and FJR mixed. It went on a diet, lost some weight, but also lost muscle too.

Resale on the Triumphs are low. John was saying he could have bought an 05 without ABS for 7500. At a dealer, no less. Ouch.

As for the bags, they were redesigned due to problems with the old style. The old style was known to leak. Also, they were reduced in size, hence the helmet not fitting. They changed this year. Also, the bags definately look bolted on. Not as much as the Ducati ST4s, but you could definately tell the bags were an add on.

The Sprint ST has always gotten good reviews, and Triumph came up with a really nice looking ST for '05.

But it is a sport bike with bags, and never more so than last year when they had that awful system for attaching the bags. The older models had the ability to raise the exhaust can when the bags where off. It was a neat trick, and came with an outlet even back then (2001). There have been rumors that Triumph was about to come up with a shafted sports tourer but nothing ever materialized. Too bad. They make quality bikes.

I rode the ST many times but bought the Trophy instead because of the kinder ergonomics. I owned two of them and put over 20K miles on both of them. Great bikes. But I kept asking their reps when they were going to modernize them and put a shaft on them. They never did.

Then along came the FJR, and it was love at first sight. After 12K miles, the love is still there...woudn't trade her for any other. :D

Chipset, sounds like you might really likr the FZ1 with the lower fairing and FJR hardbags on it. B)

Glenn

Chipset, sounds like you might really likr the FZ1 with the lower fairing and FJR hardbags on it. B)
Glenn
The FZ1 is a good looking bike. I am happy with my FJR. It's a good bike. The ST is just something different.

I think my next bike will be a used sportbike to use it mainly as a track bike.

Nice post.

I like the Triumph line a lot.

Could see myself getting one when "my ship comes in" and I want a second bike.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was looking to add a sport tourer to my stable I looked at the Truimph Sprint ST,, the Ducati ST3 & 4, and the FJR.

I bought the FJR and so far I am very pleased with my purchase.

I will be taking a trip out west in August and then I will really get to know the FJR.

I totally expect her to get me there and back in comofrt, with ample power, and reasonable storage space.

I confident I bought the right bike.

Good report on a nice bike. I've got a soft spot for the current Triumph offerings. That triple sounds very sweet and there is something different about them. Triumph gives demo rides without any trouble so if you ever want to put a grin on your face, go test a speed triple. The engine is a higher power version of the Sprint and it has a lot of torque. The front wheel has issues staying on the ground in the lower gears. It isn't as fast as my FZ but it has a lot more torque down low. As far as the Sprint, I've given some thought about my fiance' getting one if she wants her own touring bike. She likes the FJR but isn't a big fan of the weight. I figure a Sprint at 459 or so dry, and a set of risers might be the hot ticket. For now she likes it behind me on the FJR when she isn't riding her Kawi 650r, which is most of the time. :)

Good report on a nice bike. I've got a soft spot for the current Triumph offerings. That triple sounds very sweet and there is something different about them. Triumph gives demo rides without any trouble so if you ever want to put a grin on your face, go test a speed triple. The engine is a higher power version of the Sprint and it has a lot of torque. The front wheel has issues staying on the ground in the lower gears. It isn't as fast as my FZ but it has a lot more torque down low. As far as the Sprint, I've given some thought about my fiance' getting one if she wants her own touring bike. She likes the FJR but isn't a big fan of the weight. I figure a Sprint at 459 or so dry, and a set of risers might be the hot ticket. For now she likes it behind me on the FJR when she isn't riding her Kawi 650r, which is most of the time. :)

My friend probably would have chosen the FJR, had he test rode one. But, you are right, you can test ride the Triumph and he liked it more than the VFR. He rode them back to back and decided pretty easily, from what I was told.

If I were to use it as a replacement to the FJR, it would definately need risers.

The FJR just blows it away in torque. We were riding down a large road (5 lanes), no traffic, good visibility. Well, he was on my FJR and I on his Sprint. He decided to open it up. And I had quite the time trying to catch him. The FJR can (though perhaps you shouldn't) do the Dragon in second because of the range of torque and power. On the Sprint, I had to change gears more often due to the powerband.

All in all, a good bike. And much more manueverable than the FJR.

But, I do enjoy the FJR.

And thanks for the compliments on my review.