Inconsistent idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRFlier

Reaction score
Hi all, my 08 has developed an interesting problem and I am lost. It will occasionally idle at 950-1000 after start and the throttle becomes extremely touchy. Then if I ride it for a bit and turn it off then back on it idles at 1100 where I have it set normally. Will happen when bike is cold or hot. Just did 12k service and synced the throttle bodies. Any thoughts on why this might be occurring? It was happening before the service as well.

I just synced the throttles bodies so I know those are good. I did just put a new tank of fuel in it but its been doing this on and off for awhile now and doesnt seem to be tied to fuel near as I can tell. I just checked the TPS and have a min of 17 and a max of 102 and it seems to move smoothly throughout the range of the throttle. Other thoughts?

Thank you!

How about trying some fuel system cleaner?

Try adding a little CHEVRON with TECHRON fuel system cleaner in a couple tanks and see if it helps.

I was having a little stumbling/hesitation when taking off after starting sometimes and I used a half a bottle of TECHRON in a tank of fuel.......has been fine since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible cold idle circuit issue? Check out this post for description and info --

Yours may be jammed in the 'warm engine' position, which would likely result in a slow idle when cold.

Also, read the other posts in that thread regarding problems with the PAIR system

A buddy has the same issue with his '10. Absolutely everything has been checked and cleaned (almost)... TBS, MAP, hoses, caps, throttle bodies and TBS idle circuits, injectors..... valve check is good, the only thing left is ECU, throttle cables possibly sticking or that idle circuit gizmo (which I think is working properly). Idle varies, sometimes hangs at 5000 rpm at speed and slow to return......... next step is to lube throttle cables, and I'd like to tear down the idle gizmo and clean it anyway.