IndianaTom's Birthday Get-together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Well, Tom's birthday is July 8th, and it doesn't look he'll be doing too much celebrating seeing as he can't eat, drink, or move a whole lot.

In addition to this whole thing being tough for Tom, his friend's, and family, there is another person this whole thing will have huge impact on, Tom's unborn child.

That's right, his wife is around 6 months along, and Tom has been pretty much laid up for the past 6 weeks.

Vonda has asked to have a birthday party next week July 12th, at 12:00 noon at thier house. She really needs help with the following, "We can use skills in wooden steps, electrical, garage door openers, drywall repair, peeling baby room wallpaper, moving things (big and small)."

I was considering doing a morning ride in the morning of the Ohio River Scenic Byway, clickythen heading up to Tom's house so we could be there around 11:00-12:00. This way we could beat the heat, and get in 100 miles, some of which are very nice roads. I am bringing an air matress to crash on, because I plan on drinking, and don't want to ride the bike home after that. Tom's house is relatively large, and I'm sure we could accomodate a few beds/air matresses if anyone wants to crash for the night.

Burgers/dogs will be provided. Probably some drinks too.

Anyone who can pitch in and help out, even if it is only for an hour, it would be very much appreciated. Weather or not we do the morning ride will depend on interest, but no matter what I'll be there.

Please PM me if you need further info. Hope to see a few forum faces show up if you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a conflict on that Saturday...but I will try to get out of it...

If I am able to come, I would ride down Friday night after work and head home Sunday morning. If I bring a sleeping bag and pad...is there a place to crash on FRI and SAT night?

Ohhhh..and by the way...I have NO skills except to help move stuff around

I would love to help as I can do all that stuff, but 500 miles and no bike doesn't help much :(

If I am able to come, I would ride down Friday night after work and head home Sunday morning. If I bring a sleeping bag and pad...is there a place to crash on FRI and SAT night?

I did a mapquest search for Wheaton, IL to Orleans, IN vs. Louisville, KY. Turns out, becuase Orleans is off the highway, it's about 5:15 to Orleans and 5:30 to Louisville.

You could ride down to my place Sat. and crash, I have an extra room with bed. Then Sat. we can do a ride, then crash at Tom and Vonda's. There will be room.

Hope you can make it, let me know.

I did a mapquest search for Wheaton, IL to Orleans, IN vs. Louisville, KY. Turns out, becuase Orleans is off the highway, it's about 5:15 to Orleans and 5:30 to Louisville.

You could ride down to my place Sat. and crash, I have an extra room with bed. Then Sat. we can do a ride, then crash at Tom and Vonda's. There will be room.

Hope you can make it, let me know.
Well, I hope so too Keith...I will let you know by early in the week.

Hope somebody else also volunteers...'cuz I ain't that handy...jes tryin' to help a fellow FJR rider goin' through a tough spell.

May be I could help by phone?

if you have to cut stair rises: get a 2 x 12 cut 7 down 11 across, repeat for # of stairs you need. Make sure you use a right angle tool to get them right.

electrical: simple wht to wht, blk to blk and red is ALWAYS HOT (used in 3 ways)

door opener: bolt it on plug it in about 45 min job. I am not sure, but off the top of my head, the opener should bolt to the header 12 inches above the door. read the instructions on that on to check.

Drywall: Find someone fluent in Spanish :lol: :lol:

I keed I keed :p

I really wish that I lived closer to them. I'd love to help out.

Edited to add: After reading the opening post, again... it begs a question... Since Vonda is having a BDay party for Tom, does that mean he's home?

Gosh, I hope so...

I really wish that I lived closer to them. I'd love to help out.
Edited to add: After reading the opening post, again... it begs a question... Since Vonda is having a BDay party for Tom, does that mean he's home?

Gosh, I hope so...
No, unfortunately Tom is going back to Indy for another procedure. More endoscopic surgery....

Anyway, I'm going to explore a possible fundraiser like has been done in the past on the forum. Several people have indicated they would like to do something just to show support.

With the baby coming, a little extra cash could surely find it's way into the daiper/formula budget!

Kieth,

Just got back from upstate NY and might possibly be going back again next weekend. That being said, I'm also quite interested in helping out if possible.

I probably won't know if I'm heading back to NY next weekend until Wednesday but put me down for now as an, "I'll be there unless". :)

Also, would love to ride up there as you mentioned. Would most likely have to head through L-ville anyhow to get there so it's no problem heading down to meet up with you then ride up.

I'll let you know for sure most likely by Wednesday night.

:(

Keith...I am not going to be able to help out this weekend. I was not able to get out of the conflict after all. Sorry about that...I hate offering then withdrawing help...not good.

:(

Please let me know of future opportunities to help as they arise. :huh:

No prob Wheaton.

I'll be sure to let Vonda know that there are several who would like to help out, but it's just really far for a lot people.

Kieth,

You still planning on riding up there this Saturday?

Looks like I"m not heading to NY again so I'll have some time free. While I can't stay all night I could sure head up there for a few hours at least.

Let me know if you are still going and if you want to meet up for the ride up.

Kieth,
You still planning on riding up there this Saturday?

Looks like I"m not heading to NY again so I'll have some time free. While I can't stay all night I could sure head up there for a few hours at least.

Let me know if you are still going and if you want to meet up for the ride up.
Yeah, I sent you a pm.

Thanks alot to those who helped out, and for the support and kind words from others.

Here is a letter from Vonda, she wanted me to post:

Hello friends,

What a wonderful "party" we had! On Saturday, I believe a total of 45 people came to our house to pitch in and finish projects, start news ones, and just generally help out. Most people came from points between Indy and Louisville, but we even had one brave motorcyclist come up from Atlanta, GA. Some people had never met me, and a few had never met Tom, just were his friends via the internet. Everyone was so helpful.

I had list of 22 things, some big, some small. These were all completed (except the bathroom tile, we'll get that done soon), and people even found other things to do. My bathroom and bedroom were cleaned (thanks ladies!) and my living room is once again liveable!

Some of the big projects were installing a garage door opener, pulling out a well pump, replacing some old steps and staining them, pruning the jungle that has grown up (and it was HOT in that sun), moving the remains of a large tree from the yard. Inside the house, there was some major repair work needing done to our bathroom floor from a leaky toilet. Lots of ancient wallpaper was peeled, drywall repaired, and all the prep work done to paint the baby room. There were many, many small tasks done that I just had no idea how to do.

I thank everyone who came, worked, brought food, cleaned, and just supported me. This was the most wonderful example of friendship and cooperation I have ever seen. Thank you, thank you.

Vonda

Thanks alot to those who helped out, and for the support and kind words from others.
Here is a letter from Vonda, she wanted me to post:

Hello friends,

What a wonderful "party" we had! On Saturday, I believe a total of 45 people came to our house to pitch in and finish projects, start news ones, and just generally help out. Most people came from points between Indy and Louisville, but we even had one brave motorcyclist come up from Atlanta, GA. Some people had never met me, and a few had never met Tom, just were his friends via the internet. Everyone was so helpful.

I had list of 22 things, some big, some small. These were all completed (except the bathroom tile, we'll get that done soon), and people even found other things to do. My bathroom and bedroom were cleaned (thanks ladies!) and my living room is once again liveable!

Some of the big projects were installing a garage door opener, pulling out a well pump, replacing some old steps and staining them, pruning the jungle that has grown up (and it was HOT in that sun), moving the remains of a large tree from the yard. Inside the house, there was some major repair work needing done to our bathroom floor from a leaky toilet. Lots of ancient wallpaper was peeled, drywall repaired, and all the prep work done to paint the baby room. There were many, many small tasks done that I just had no idea how to do.

I thank everyone who came, worked, brought food, cleaned, and just supported me. This was the most wonderful example of friendship and cooperation I have ever seen. Thank you, thank you.

Vonda
Excellent. Any news on Tom?