Inexpensive Alarm....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1300

Reaction score
Inexpensive Bike Alarm...

I got this from a news email sent to me from 'Thumper Talk'

Written by TT Member: KXcam22

I liked the article "Bike theft primer" and wanted to add a technique I use beyond locks when I have to leave my toys unatended, or while camping in a rowdy area. There are devices called personal alarms, I think intended for joggers and others and costs about $25. Essentially it is a 9v battery powered 140DB siren in a package about the size of a cell phone. The one I have has a plastic pin (like a hand grenade) that, when removed, starts the siren. The siren stays on until the pin is replaced. I attach a long length of fishing line with a clasp at the end to the pin to act as a "trip wire". You can either thread the trip wire through your bikes and stuff, tie it to your tailgate, or use is as a perimeter alarm trip wire pegged to the ground with a stake. The alarm unit can be taped to something or with mine I glued a magnet to it. When tripped in the dark the siren is astonishingly loud and debilitating and difficult to reset with the pin, even if you know what to do. For a thief to find and reset it would be next to impossible. I know that friends who have inadvertently tripped it could not. A versatile alarm for $25.00. Hope this helps someone keep their stuff. Cam.