Info about State Farm coverage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I have been insured with State Farm for 30 years. When I bought the FJR (used) back in March, I never second-guessed about insurance and went straight to my SF agent. It's time for renewal now and I have become a better educated consumer, thanks to this forum and the Internet.

While shopping around for some insurance quotes I ran across AAA. Comparing my State Farm coverages and rates to the AAA, showed more than several hundred dollars per year savings. State Farm only offered me what they call E4 coverage for Comprehensive. Following is what the AAA rep had to say about that type of coverage:

What you have mentioned is someting I have always considered odd about the State Farm motoryclce policies. (I worked for State Farm for 5 years.) The State Farm policy does not give you a true comprehensive coverage. Th E4 coverage protects you only against the things mentioned. Anything else would fall under your collision which for most people means a higher deductible. Our policy offers a true comprehensive coverage. Therefore, our policy would cover you against all things mentioned under the E4 coverage as well as acts of nature like hail storm, hitting an animal, etc.
I thought this tidbit of info, if not just old news to everyone, might help somebody else.

FWIW The AAA rep has been extremely helpful and patient.

I have been insured with State Farm for 30 years. When I bought the FJR (used) back in March, I never second-guessed about insurance and went straight to my SF agent. It's time for renewal now and I have become a better educated consumer, thanks to this forum and the Internet.
While shopping around for some insurance quotes I ran across AAA. Comparing my State Farm coverages and rates to the AAA, showed more than several hundred dollars per year savings. State Farm only offered me what they call E4 coverage for Comprehensive. Following is what the AAA rep had to say about that type of coverage:

What you have mentioned is someting I have always considered odd about the State Farm motoryclce policies. (I worked for State Farm for 5 years.) The State Farm policy does not give you a true comprehensive coverage. Th E4 coverage protects you only against the things mentioned. Anything else would fall under your collision which for most people means a higher deductible. Our policy offers a true comprehensive coverage. Therefore, our policy would cover you against all things mentioned under the E4 coverage as well as acts of nature like hail storm, hitting an animal, etc.
I thought this tidbit of info, if not just old news to everyone, might help somebody else.

FWIW The AAA rep has been extremely helpful and patient.
I don't think that is true.

My GSXR750 fell off my trailer and State Farm covered it. Futhermore, it was a nonchargeable claim, meaning that they didn't raise my rates.

Annual Premium is $468 from AAA, $697 from State Farm.
Insurance rates vary by zip code, rider age, etc. but I got my FJR insurance through GMAC (with the "Rider Magazine" discount, just say I want the Rider Magazine discount), and it was only $326/yr for full coverage including $1500 non-deductible coverage of electronics (e.g., GPS, XM radio, radar detector). YMMV

I happened to see my SF agent today and asked about coverage differences. He used to write computer programs for defining automobile coverage for SF.

He said you will have different amount and types of coverage in each state because each state dictates what must or may be covered. He said there are 50 variations as well as exceptions. So not only is the rate dictated by the zip code, they type and amount of coverage you get as "standard or base" coverage is dictated by zip code. You may have to add riders or different deductibles in your state for what would be the "stock" package in another state.

He also said that as you travel from one state to another, you are autimatically covered to meet the state's requirements where your rubber is meeting the road.

Seemed to explain the difference in type/cost of coverage you are seeing from posters in different states.

B)

My point with starting this thread was NOT to compare my Eastern NC rates with somewhere else.

I want(ed) to bring to attention the difference between two insurance coverages within the same location.

State Farm ONLY offered the E4 coverage, while AAA offers a true Comprehensive that includes vandalism, hitting an animal etc.

The cheaper rate of AAA is just a bonus!

Car and home insurance throught state farm (bike through dairyland). Thought that I would point out that state farm has a credit card that pays you 1% on every purchase you make towards your insurance (you get something called state farm dollars).

I'm price comparing again as my policy renews next month. Currently w/Geico they did not raise my rates for renewal next year, exact same price, but they did reduce coverage for accessories. No longer do they consider MC specific apparel as an accessory and do not offer optional MC apparel coverage. The annual rate quote is once again $420.00. I checked w/Sentry Dairyland. Their annual quote for w/same coverage/limits is $525. This is in Mississippi. However, this does include 5000.00 in accessory coverage which does include MC specific apparel items and it also includes passenger liability (as does Geico) but, according to Sentry the passenger liability includes members of the household which means wifey and/or children should they be injured--theoretically they (wife and/or kids) can sue me (husband and or father) for injuries pain and suffering should the worse occur. Geico does not include members of the household in their passenger liability coverage. Hmmm, Sentry is 105 a year more, but is it worth it? I'm still thinking.