Inline Pump for Fuel Cell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankenfeejeer

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used aux fuel cell set up that installs where the pillion seat goes. It has a valve already installed but it seems difficult to operate. Not impossible, but not as smooth as I'd like.

In reading through many other fuel cell setups, it seems that most (if not all) of the tanks operate via gravity. I have even heard about folks installing some sort of hand pump to add pressure to the fuel cell.

My question is: Why not just install an in-line fuel pump? I have located a Mr. Gasket micro electric inline fuel pump and a marine grade electric switch on EBay for less than $60. I've seen guys install valves that cost almost twice that!

I have a feeling it's been tried and failed, but I haven't been able to find evidence of it.

Looking for some input before I just do it.

Thanks in advance!!

fuel%2520pump.jpg

-Brian

A lot of folks run fuel pumps, and there is no reason you can't. Most people prefer gravity feed if the tank is high enough to flow well, as it's a simpler setup less prone to failure.

I like fuel pumps too and don't think I'll have another aux w/out one.

I use a Facet/Purolator style low pressure pump. These are square-ish shaped and work great. I have had mine for ~70K miles with no issues at all. Consider putting a timer in there somewhere so it only powers up for so long. There are timer relays, but I just have a on-off switch on the tank, and a wall light timer in a project box on the dash in front of me.

Dunno the capacity of your aux, but the pump take ~2 minutes per gallon. Mine is one of the 4 gallon cells that really only is 3.5 gallons if you use the factory AN fitting on the back. I had mine removed/welded up and a bottom bung and I get 3.7 gallons, so the pump takes ~8 minutes total to transfer all the fuel in the aux.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like fuel pumps too and don't think I'll have another aux w/out one.
I use a Facet/Purolator style low pressure pump. These are square-ish shaped and work great. I have had mine for ~70K miles with no issues at all. Consider putting a timer in there somewhere so it only powers up for so long. There are timer relays, but I just have a on-off switch on the tank, and a wall light timer in a project box on the dash in front of me.

Dunno the capacity of your aux, but the pump take ~2 minutes per gallon. Mine is one of the 4 gallon cells that really only is 3.5 gallons if you use the factory AN fitting on the back. I had mine removed/welded up and a bottom bung and I get 3/7 gallons, so the pump takes ~8 minutes total to transfer all the fuel in the aux.
This is a 4 gallon tank with bung on the bottom of the tank. I would like to take a look at the type of pump you are using, as the one i'm looking at requires the pump to be installed at 45 degrees.

Thanks

You could use a Rv pump. Bought a replacment for my Onan GenSet. Quiet,and has mounting tabs, right around $100.

Here is a guide to the model numbers from the mfg:

https://facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

Amazon; this is a different name, but I believe still a Facet pump:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Products-10700-Powerflow-Electric/dp/B001Q6EE86/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1391351891&sr=1-4&keywords=facet+fuel+pump

They do market under different names. Mine is a Purolator I bought yrs ago for a different project from a local RV place for ~$35 IIRC.

I can't seem to post pics - If you want, PM me your email address and I'll show you how mine is set up.

Here is a guide to the model numbers from the mfg:
https://facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

Amazon; this is a different name, but I believe still a Facet pump:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Products-10700-Powerflow-Electric/dp/B001Q6EE86/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1391351891&sr=1-4&keywords=facet+fuel+pump

They do market under different names. Mine is a Purolator I bought yrs ago for a different project from a local RV place for ~$35 IIRC.

I can't seem to post pics - If you want, PM me your email address and I'll show you how mine is set up.
Just sent a PM. Thanks a TON.

You's FJR guys are great!!

-Brian