Innovative idea for TechSpec

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOOOMM AGAIN

Reaction score
Last September we had a little mishap (standing still tip-over), and the top edge of the fairing got scraped. Rather than replace the entire right side panel we made a template up and sent it to the nice folks at TechSpec. As you can see in the following pics, the TechSpec Accent covered the scratches nicely and will help the next time if there is a tip-over(hope not of course).

We thought it looked so nice we put it on both bikes just for a little added protection.

DSC_0002_zps7ffxzb11.jpg
DSC_0003_zpsjrggxpv2.jpg
DSC_0008_zpstltrpd4t.jpg
DSC_0009_zpsqjgaghrl.jpg
DSC_0005_zpsxn9scdoa.jpg
DSC_0007_zpsmjkeouyj.jpg

Nice. I've been contemplating asking TechSpec about some small pieces to protect an area on the side covers, (below the seat), where my legs seem to touch, and scuff the finish. I'll make up a template and send it off.

I was thinking of doing this exact same thing to cover the scratches from a tip over. So, can they make more and what did they charge? Looks great.

Looks really good. I've used techspec before and really like their tank grippers. I just wish they didn't charge so much for just a piece of rubber.

Great solution. You seem to have other nice graphics on your bike, can you post some full pics of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum.. I had a tip over against a guardrail in Vermont last year. It pinstriped that exact spot, and, the side of the saddlebag (that incidentally would have been covered by the bag skins).

I think this is a much cheaper route that painting...

I looked on the TechSpec site but didn't see these, or the bag skins.. so I'm assuming a simple phone call will do it?

Call Tech Spec and ask for Melissa. Make sure you ask for the aggressive adhesive. I can't remember what they charged. Ours was the proto type. Jim sent Melissa pictures for they're website just yesterday.

The side cases are on the Tech Spec website.

Call Tech Spec and ask for Melissa. Make sure you ask for the aggressive adhesive. I can't remember what they charged. Ours was the proto type. Jim sent Melissa pictures for they're website just yesterday.The side cases are on the Tech Spec website.
Thanks Iris, I'll give them a call today.

Hum, I'll have to look for the side cases again on the site.

Bungie,

If you go to TechSpec website, hover over "motorcycle" tab and about 2/3 of the way down there's a tab for Pannier Covers. You'll find the side case snake skin pads under Yamaha FJR 1300.

I found that his third photo down is the Exact same size of the real pad. I traced it on the computer screen with paper then used it as an outline to cut a piece of matte black vinyl car wrap that I had and it fit perfect in that spot. Not sure how it will guard against scratches in a tipover, but for now it covers a few modest scars. Doesn't look as good as the techspec and would pay $20 or so if they ever started producing them.

FullSizeRender2012.jpg

For those that were interest in these accent pieces, I sent Melissa the template and Tech Spec now has it for production. Just contact Melissa.