Installation of LED to saddle bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amansker

Reaction score
I'm planning to add hyperlites or other leds for running/brake lights and would like them "wide" and mounted on the back of the stock saddle bags. Anyone done this? Don't see it in any FAQs.

It is the angles surface of the bags that I'm most concerned about. I understand LEDs should be pointing straight back and not at an angle.

The bags will rarely be removed. I'm thinking the internal wiring will be routed and silicone to permanently keep it out of the way. Any other ideas?

I'm planning to add hyperlites or other leds for running/brake lights and would like them "wide" and mounted on the back of the stock saddle bags. Anyone done this? Don't see it in any FAQs.
It is the angles surface of the bags that I'm most concerned about. I understand LEDs should be pointing straight back and not at an angle.

The bags will rarely be removed. I'm thinking the internal wiring will be routed and silicone to permanently keep it out of the way. Any other ideas?
I've been working the exact same problem in my head. I have a set of LED lights (1 amber and 1 red brake-run) for each bag. The mounting problem I am struggling with is the same issue. The back surface of the bag is not vertical but sloped and LED's are sensitive to viewing angle. (At least sensitive enough that the slope of the bag is a problem.)

My current thinking on the matter is to build an aluminum bracket out of sheet aluminum that looks like a couple "steps" from the side. Then mount it to the bags and the lights to it.

As for the wiring. I know you want it reliable. But I would highly recomend NOT hardwiring to the bike. You will regret it later. Trust me.

Hunt around and you can get reliable connectors. Personally I would use the "trailer-plug" style flat connector (sometimes called SAE plugs). They are designed for use in rough environments and I frequently use them all over the bike for circuts that I need to unplug on occasion. You can get them in 2, 3, 4 and 6 pin configurations. If you are doing brake and running LED's you will need to find the 3-pin version (rare, but they do exist). In my case I will end up using the 4-pin (one on each side) since I plan on having turn, run and brake LED's.

If you are just doing running+brake and can't find the 3 pin version I would use the 4 pin plug anyways and wire the 4th pin for turn, even if the light isn't there. Think of it as future expansion. Plus the 4-pin SAE plugs can be found at any trailer supply store.

Hope this helps

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking a plastic box and using a dremel to arch the curve / angle. There is a "near vertical" place on the inside of the bags 1.5" wide, but it is tucked in behind the bag so side visibility is null. I understand LEDs are not so useful at that angle (side) anyway.

Connectors are mandatory. I'm just thinking of the wire permanently mounted out of the way inside the bag. Maybe drill the bag and use a rubber grommet to seal the wire hole. And/or maybe silicone.

I'll be surprised if nobody has worked this one out.

I have my Hyperlights mounted on either side of my license plate (with the Hyperlight bracket). At this location they seem to light up the back of the bike pretty nicely, especially at night. But you're right - proper angling is necessary.

I'm not sure separating the two Hyperlight assemblies will gain you much, but should you decide to go that route properly angling them shouldn't be a big deal. Just mount the Hyperlights to a light weight metal angle bracket. Rivet or bolt the brackets where you want on the saddle bags, then bend the bracket's angle to whatever you need.

Forgot to mention... you can use heavy duty plastic velcro (made by 3M), or double-sided tape, to mount the Hyperlights to the bracket.

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Hyperlights and I mounted them on the bracket where the bike's side reflectors were (not the ones on the bags). Took the refectors off, used double sided tape and the hyperlights cover the holes for mounting the reflectors. I made sure they were angled so they point straight back as they are very directionally dependant. This gives them a bit of spread and away from the tail light for more definition. Mine are just the flashing brake light type.

I never thought of putting them on the bags but I bet it would look sharp.

I was kinda thinking you might be able to find a solid piece of black abs plastic and cut a wedge shape from it to mount behind your lights so that they would lay plumb. Just an idea.

If you don't already have the LED's you might want to check these guys out... really bright and many different applications!

https://www.radiantz.com/

I glued a piece of black abs ( 3/8'' square ) in the back of the licence plate and then use velcro to velcro the Hyperlite to those bracket and then wire everything to the existing light bulb.

Latest posts