Installing Autocom Headset in HJC Symax II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new helmet and I'm seriously considering a 'flip-up' or 'modular' style. I'm leaning towards the HJC Symax II since the 2008 model includes a tinted retractable visor. My concern is that I'm going to run into problems with the microphone boom for my Autocom system. Has anyone installed and used the Autocom microphone / speakers in a Symax? Big problems? Helpful tips and hints?

silver_chin_up.jpg

11101-square-z0-w100-h100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While not the Symax, I did install the standard Autocom headset in my Caberg J1 modular helmet and it worked fine. No issues with the boom mike.

Caberg was simply too noisy to enjoy decent sound so I ended up switching the headset into my regular full-face. Not the Autocom's fault though.

Think you will find that the modular helmets are inherently more noisy than standard full-facers.

Gunny, the only thing I can advise is to watch for the chin bar clearance. Most of these have minimal clearance to your chin/lips which severely hinders mic placement. My Multitec, for instance, has about 1/8" to 1/4" clearance which makes mic placement nearly impossible - not to mention the fact that I have zip for frontal impact protection.

That said, I did finally find a somewhat ok place to mount the mic after I stripped off the foam and tucked the mic under the small breath guard. I can still 'lip' the mic, which is annoying at best.

On the plus side, it convinced me that a full face is perhaps best for me and I managed to score a Schuberth S1 from extremesupply.com for $320 on closeout. Thanks to Fairlaner for all his help and advice, too!

PS, they have a few Schuberth C2's still and if you show up with cash... ;)

For cryin out loud. This isn't brain surgery. Even a frickin jarhead should be able to figure this out. Might take you a couple weeks, but you'll get it.

BTW, I have an HJC Symax I helmet. While it's ok, it doesn't compare to my Shoei Multi-tec. Have you considered one of those?

For cryin out loud. This isn't brain surgery. Even a frickin jarhead should be able to figure this out. Might take you a couple weeks, but you'll get it.
BTW, I have an HJC Symax I helmet. While it's ok, it doesn't compare to my Shoei Multi-tec. Have you considered one of those?
Squid,

Yes, I have looked at the Shoei, but it's missing that nifty little sun visor that I like so much. Oh, and it's a bit more money, too. In what ways do you find the HJC inferior to the Shoei? Noise? Comfort?

(Then again you have an egg head.)

Yes, I have looked at the Shoei, but it's missing that nifty little sun visor that I like so much. Oh, and it's a bit more money, too. In what ways do you find the HJC inferior to the Shoei? Noise? Comfort?(Then again you have an egg head.)
Yes, noise, and most definitely comfort. Overall quality is much higher with the Shoei. HJC can have issues, though most are fixable.

And I prefer 'pinhead' you pimple on a gerbil's ass.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new helmet and I'm seriously considering a 'flip-up' or 'modular' style. I'm leaning towards the HJC Symax II since the 2008 model includes a tinted retractable visor. My concern is that I'm going to run into problems with the microphone boom for my Autocom system. Has anyone installed and used the Autocom microphone / speakers in a Symax? Big problems? Helpful tips and hints?
silver_chin_up.jpg

11101-square-z0-w100-h100.jpg
While I don't have an audio system yet I do have this helmet and I like it. It is not the quietest but the visor is a MAJOR bonus in my book. I am one of the unlucky ones that must wear glasses and it is great to just flip the visor down.

On comfort etc I really can't answer since it only have dirt bike helmets to compare to. It is comfortable to me and I have not had any problems with it. As to an audio setup I am curious as well as this is my next investment.

I am sure this is a dangerous statement, especially on a Friday, but to me approved helmets are a little like shoes. Some brands fit one person better than another and cost is not always an indication of quality also regardless what brand you buy you should always wear them when you leave home.

I am sure this is a dangerous statement, especially on a Friday, but to me approved helmets are a little like shoes. Some brands fit one person better than another and cost is not always an indication of quality also regardless what brand you buy you should always wear them when you leave home.
Totally right. I've had HJC and Shoei and both seem to fit me pretty well. I'll try to find one of each this weekend and test 'em out for fit.

I had the older HJC Symax helmet with my Autocom. I placed the wires under the helmet liner with tape. Where the speakers are there was deep enough holes for them. I do not know if the new helmet has this. Just take your time placing the speakers correct.

As for the microphone. I just pushed the boom under the cheek padding then snapped it back in place, it held there just fine.

Hope this helps.