installing the G2 throttle cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
I finally gave up & ordered the G2 throttle cam. The off/on power surge from closed throttle has been a pet peeve since picking up the feej at the end of May. I recently moved the idle back up to 1100 rpm - it had 'sagged' to just under 1000 in the 9000 miles I have put on it. That did help the surge some but not enough. Today as long as I was burning some vacation time & the AM temps were below 30 I installed it.

Installation is really a piece of cake and takes 10 minutes (maybe) if you don't count the time removing the rubber grip from the original cam. After giving up on compressed air I used a kebob fork to slide between the grip & the cam, opening a small space large enough to drip in some dishwasher soap & then a couple of drops of water. It just took a few seconds of working the fork all around the grip before it literaly fell off.

My initial ride makes me think this is the winner.

+1 product

I finally gave up & ordered the G2 throttle cam. The off/on power surge from closed throttle has been a pet peeve since picking up the feej at the end of May. I recently moved the idle back up to 1100 rpm - it had 'sagged' to just under 1000 in the 9000 miles I have put on it. That did help the surge some but not enough. Today as long as I was burning some vacation time & the AM temps were below 30 I installed it.
Installation is really a piece of cake and takes 10 minutes (maybe) if you don't count the time removing the rubber grip from the original cam. After giving up on compressed air I used a kebob fork to slide between the grip & the cam, opening a small space large enough to drip in some dishwasher soap & then a couple of drops of water. It just took a few seconds of working the fork all around the grip before it literaly fell off.

+1 product
I too think that the G2 Throttle Tamer is great on the ’08, even though there are some members of this forum that think you shouldn't put them on the '08 because Yamaha claims to have "fixed" the throttle problem. Some of the ’08 owners don’t have a problem or are not bothered by the inconsistent off-idle throttle response but mine was very irritating. The G2 was an acceptable interim fix and I later installed a PCIII when I added the Muzzy exhaust system. The PCIII was a more complete solution, but I still enjoy the G2 and have switched to a more aggressive cam profile since installing the PCIII. Sam at G2 is great and will work with you on the cam selection if you should decide you want to experiment with them.

+1 product
I too think that the G2 Throttle Tamer is great on the ’08, even though there are some members of this forum that think you shouldn't put them on the '08 because Yamaha claims to have "fixed" the throttle problem. Some of the ’08 owners don’t have a problem or are not bothered by the inconsistent off-idle throttle response but mine was very irritating. The G2 was an acceptable interim fix and I later installed a PCIII when I added the Muzzy exhaust system. The PCIII was a more complete solution, but I still enjoy the G2 and have switched to a more aggressive cam profile since installing the PCIII. Sam at G2 is great and will work with you on the cam selection if you should decide you want to experiment with them.
Fergi I guess some could adjust to the '0 to warp drive' when rolling on the throttle. To me it was a big pia and made transitions going into turns, at worst anything but smooth and at best made me excessively concentrate on trying to open the throttle smoothly. I took the bike for a good run after I also installed a CB screen yesterday. The throttle response now is pure pleasure!

I agree. I've had mine on for a couple of years. Great product that is immediately noticable.

Latest posts