Interesting look at Roadsmart rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just replaced my old Roadsmart rear tire with another one. I got almost 8k miles out of the last one, and it behaved itself all the way through, which I was satisfied with. After mounting the new tire I went for a 250 mile, 8 hour, backroads ride yesterday, most of the time in the rain. When I got home, this is what the new tire looks like.

2979851430098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

The semi-circular arc on the right side is just an image artifact, not actually seen on the tire. What I'm looking at is the difference in texture of the center stripe. I never saw anything like this on the last one. I'm assuming that this the center compound showing itself, somehow accentuated or polished by the rain riding.

Cool... :dirol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is cool fred.

I need to take a closer look at mine this is my 2nd set. 1st set did real well up to about 8k miles then the front started pushing. second set also did very well but this time at about 7k the front has some strange wear patterns

(cupping possibly) I noticed it at a gas stop 1k miles back but havn't cleaned them up and took a good look since returning from a long ride.

What I'm looking at is the difference in texture of the center stripe....
Cool... :dirol:
Dangit Fred, ya made me go look dentcha!

This is my first RS and has about 800 miles on it (none in the rain) and has the same lighter center stripe as your pic shows. Interesting in that I never noticed it on the Bridgestone 021 OEM which is also s`pposed to be dual compound. Maybe B`stone has better stealth rubber technology.....

1st set did real well up to about 8k miles then the front started pushing. second set also did very well but this time at about 7k the front has some strange wear patterns (cupping possibly) I noticed it at a gas stop 1k miles back but havn't cleaned them up and took a good look since returning from a long ride.
The bad reports of the Dunlop front tires is why I continue to run a Diablo Strada up front with the Roadsmart rear. If you can find them, I still think the Strada front is tough to beat. I would also consider running those with a PR2 rear.

Great link, CM!

This cross section picture is pretty interesting.

tn_Dunlop_08_Roadsmart_MultiTread_01.jpg

So, the harder center compound is also the base layer for the softer sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how many miles I have on my RS's but so far I am very happy with them. The only thing I have noticed is if I am hitting it hard in 1st. or 2nd. I can spin the wheel fairly easy. I have noticed the color change strip down the center.Some times it's shiney,Some times it's not. I think it just depends on the surface and conditions you were riding on at the time.

I have almost 6000 on my Roadsmarts now and love them. I was worried about how they would perform on the trip to WFO in Idaho and back. I rode them in heat, cold, rain, and gravel. They stuck like glue and never slipped once. They still have at least 2k left in them and have not worn funny at all. They performed great on the straights and twisties alike. I think my next set is gonna be another set of RSs. So far, I think these are the best tires I have run on a bike in a long long, time.