Interesting problem with my J&M Integratr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
My integratr stopped working. It's a communications/radio system that is portable (clips to the belt).

I have it and the 12volt adapter for a car (have a car charger on my bike). It stopped working. So I plugged it in to the car to see if it was a problem with the bike's car charger port. It's not.

So I wanted to see if it was the 12 volt adapter part, and what I did was put on the battery pack (holds 8 AAA batteries). It turned on with the batteries, so I turned it off and started to remove the batteries, and WOW! One battery was SUPER hot! I mean, had I left it on for more than the 5 seconds to see the digital display, I think this battery would have started melting!

My thinking is that something in the unit messed up and is not regulating how much power it's trying to draw, and so it fried the 12 volt adapter. But if I get a new adapter, it'll probably fry that too. Is there another test or something I can do to to see if it's the unit? Or should I just spend the money to replace the unit AND the adapter, instead of replacing just the adapter and hoping it was a bad battery or something?

I know this is a pretty vague explanation, I'm just not very adept at describing electrical problems and stuff. Thanks.

Alexi

My integratr stopped working. It's a communications/radio system that is portable (clips to the belt).
I have it and the 12volt adapter for a car (have a car charger on my bike). It stopped working. So I plugged it in to the car to see if it was a problem with the bike's car charger port. It's not.

So I wanted to see if it was the 12 volt adapter part, and what I did was put on the battery pack (holds 8 AAA batteries). It turned on with the batteries, so I turned it off and started to remove the batteries, and WOW! One battery was SUPER hot! I mean, had I left it on for more than the 5 seconds to see the digital display, I think this battery would have started melting!

My thinking is that something in the unit messed up and is not regulating how much power it's trying to draw, and so it fried the 12 volt adapter. But if I get a new adapter, it'll probably fry that too. Is there another test or something I can do to to see if it's the unit? Or should I just spend the money to replace the unit AND the adapter, instead of replacing just the adapter and hoping it was a bad battery or something?

I know this is a pretty vague explanation, I'm just not very adept at describing electrical problems and stuff. Thanks.

Alexi
Call their technical support. They are really good. I had a cable go bad and had to send them back. Turned out to be the cable I did nto send back. They tested them and sent them back and the replacement for the cable that was bad. Was very timely support.