Intermittent operation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagecoach

Reaction score
Okay gurus, have at it...

I have a 2004 US non-ABS model and have been experiencing two issues of intermittent operation:

1. The windshield auto-retract feature, works sometimes, doesn't work others. I can't see a pattern as to when it does or doesn't.

2. When starting the motorcycle with the sidestand up and clutch in, sometimes it will start in gear, sometimes it won't. My guess is a bad or gunked sidestand switch (but it probably would cut out when put in gear after starting if that were the case)?? Is there another safety switch somewhere that I'm unaware of?

Thanks,

stagecoach

Is there another safety switch somewhere that I'm unaware of?
The clutch switch on the handlebar and the neutral switch. Both get summed together with the side stand switch in a diode/relay block (Starting Cut Off Circuit) in the nose to determine when the motorcycle may start. Inspect the clutch switch and clean the sidestand switch.

Check your neutral light the next time weirdness is going on with the windshield, the light is involved with the auto retract circuit at the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator: