Iphone mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I built this Iphone bracket to mount my phone to the clutch fluid res. I'ts made of 1/16 steel, its not heavy but its pretty solid. I'm wondering if it (with the phone in it) will be to heavy for those screws that hold the res. cover on. I'm am going to get longer screws so they will go in all the way.

Misc002.jpg

Misc003.jpg

Ditto,

Read with caution, as I do not own a Iphone.

With that said, I read somewhere's on this forum, where vibration is really bad for Iphones. If I recall, they also stated that it voids the warranty of the phone.

And there is certainly much vibration on the handlebars. Perhaps some rubber washers to cushion the vibration may work.

That's a pretty penny to watch fade away.

With your mount, a good splash of unexpected road water, or a quick rain could bring havoc unpleasantly....just a thought, as I know they are not waterproof; perhaps you have a plasty slip cover to put on top of it.

Good luck, good looking design with the mounting system.

I have a first Generation iPhone and have probably 5000 miles (LD rides, I use my Garmin) with it mounted to my clutch reserve with NO problems at all.. I use a cyclegadgets mount.

https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/r...prod=RAM-IPHONE

If you look in the following picture you'll see the mount behind my CeeBailey shield.

fjrpic.jpg

Just my 2 cents on the topic,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, the screws should not be a problem with that added loading.

Secondly, the whole vibration thing seems way over hyped. I have yet to see any documented evidence of vibration failure or the exclusion in the warranty. My iPhone vibrates a hell of a lot more in the car mount than on my FJR but I'm using a Ram mount for it (awesome by the way! edit: just noticed, same as Duster Dave's, available just about anywhere!) Now moisture, on the other hand... that a different story!

Thirdly, wondering how the phone is held in your mount? Nice looking work but wondering what the existing options don't have that this mount does.

Thirdly, wondering how the phone is held in your mount? Nice looking work but wondering what the existing options don't have that this mount does.
It is made of steel so its very rigid. That said, I put some thin foam on the sides and the phone snaps/slides in from the top and held just as tight as any of those mounts that you squeeze the side clamps.

I can put some of that foam between the mount and the res. cover to dampen some of the vibs...

I had a 1st gen iPhone on another bike. The mount was similar to the one Ram has for it. After about a month it died. The unit would not turn on. Apple replaced it but asked specifically about vibration. I to be honest was not sure that was the cause , but I suspect it was, I was using a cool app called dynolicious at the time when it died. I suspect 2 things caused it. The first was I was using a 6" arm, and the second was I did not have anything to absorb the vibration. In the past with the PDA type Mio with GPS I had no issues but i had put acoustic foam between the back of the PDA and mount. I suspect if you keep the arm shorter and pad it you will be OK.

I have my iphone 3g on a center ram mount with over 12k miles and love it. There are no moving parts in the 3g and 3gs so I dont see how vibration would be a problem.

With that said, I read somewhere's on this forum, where vibration is really bad for Iphones.
That was most likely me.

I have a friend who works at Apple in the dept that actually does the stress testing of *all* Apple's products. I asked him about the exactly this use - mounted to a motorcycle - and he said they've tested it to those stress levels and the failure rate is low (but not zero and not insignificant). That being said, Apple *DOES NOT* warranty the iPhone for the kinds of stress a motorcycle dishes out.

Personally, I wouldn't do it with my iPhone.