iPhone Routing Apps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on iPhone routing apps to use as an alternative to Google Maps (and Apple Maps, for that matter). Nothing wrong with the standard Google or Apple offerings, but I want to be able to add more waypoints easily. Voice navigation a requirement.

I've seen reference to Scenic in the forums, and I independently came across InRoute. Are there others people like and recommend? If so, what do you like about them?

Thanx in advance!

Hey Mayor, for years I've been creating specialized trip routes on my home computer with my GoogleMaps account (via browser), then exporting the related .KMZ file to a .GPX format, then importing into my fave Android app onto a GPS-capable Android tablet - OSMand Plus.

I'm not sure the vendor offers it for iOS devices too, but good luck with your search!

Kurviger is a German navigation app that is in development. I have used it for a couple of years.

https://kurviger.de/premium/en

They have just recently released an iOS version in the last 6 months or so for iPads and iPhones. I think you can add 250 shaping points or way points. I usually plan trips one to three weeks long building routes for each day on their website and then transfer them all to my computer and phone. Then I start each day with the appropriate route, turn on the music, put the phone in "do not disturb," turn off the screen, and take off. That way only my wife, daughter, and riding partners can call or text me and with no screen, the battery lasts forever. The app voices over the music and tells me where and when to turn...pretty well, but not perfectly. It's taken me down some rabbit holes in a couple of cities.

There is a helpful users forum that the developers interact with daily. There used to be a feature that could be selected in the previous version that would remind you of upcoming turns every four miles so that you knew it was still alive. A nice feature if you're on a 100-mile straight road and not looking at a screen. I have requested that the developers reintroduce that feature and it's been on their to-do list for some time.

I use the Tourer+ version which is about $30 per year. Kurviger uses OSM (open street maps) which anyone can edit which can be either good or bad.

Last edited:
Yes. There are selections to avoid tolls, ferries, highways, etc. You can also select most curvy, least curvy, least elevation ascent, Etc. You can also drop pins (waypoints I think) all along the route. And you can build your own user specified route.