IPOD Charger/BMW Type Plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCML

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Reaction score
This may have been covered before but I have not been here for a while and I could not find what I needed to know using Search. I have a two Powerlet Outlets on my FJR and they acccept BMW type plugs. All of the Ipod chargers I have found to date use regular cigarette lighter plugs and they place the electronics in a casing that surrounds their plugs making it impossible to merely cut-off the plug and wire on the BMW-style plug. I need a charger that is either designed to be hardwired from the getgo or, alternatively, a charger where the plug is just a plug and the electronics are downstream. All ideas appreciated. Thanks.

This may have been covered before but I have not been here for a while and I could not find what I needed to know using Search. I have a two Powerlet Outlets on my FJR and they acccept BMW type plugs. All of the Ipod chargers I have found to date use regular cigarette lighter plugs and they place the electronics in a casing that surrounds their plugs making it impossible to merely cut-off the plug and wire on the BMW-style plug. I need a charger that is either designed to be hardwired from the getgo or, alternatively, a charger where the plug is just a plug and the electronics are downstream. All ideas appreciated. Thanks.
Not ideal but I just built a 2' cord with a male BMW plug on one end and female cig-lighter on the other and run that into my tank bag.

I stripped one of the belin cigarette lighter style for permanent install into the car. When you strip off the plastic cigarette lighter housing, your left with a circuit about the size of a postage stamp, 1/2" thick, with 12v leads which you can wire to a BMW style plug.

Good ideas, all three - buy a premade adapter, smash and rebuild the charger, make an adapter/extension. Thanks.

Hi Rogue! Thanks for the welcome back. I am doing fine and look forward to catching up with you on a ride soon. Well, not catching up with you in the let's race sense but you know what I mean.

If you're going to be in Asheville any time soon, I'd be happy to mod your charger for you...

Yes, it is far from L.A. but the "back story" (as they say in The Biz) might help. I was going to add that, without the history, riding to Asheville on a whim might sound crazy but, with the people on this board, it would not be that extraordinary. Anyway, my sister has a home in Asheville and I visit there once in a while. Slapnpop and his lady (if my memory is not faulty) met up with me and some of my family at a sushi restaruant in downtown Asheville a couple of years ago. Food and conversation were both excellent. You and Diane should head out that way sometime and maybe ride the Dragon. If you go let me know - you have a place to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PAC-002 should do the trick

clicky here