IPOD Users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until Apple can come up with a low quality, proprietary broadcast format and charge $.99 a minute to listen to it they won't have those capabilities. You'll have to look at a higher quality audio, open format gizmo from Creative or iRiver to have those additional capabilities.

Apple does have the cool factor though. And the interface is pretty neat, although the new Zen Touch is pretty darn close.

You would think with the disk capacity now we wouldn't have to put up with a lossy audio format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if there is an AM/FM reciever attachment for the IPOD?
Yeah. BestBuy stocks it here in NJ. No idea how good it is, or what it costs.

My brother-in-law gave my wife a Nano for her birthday. She thinks it's totally useless and doesn't bother with it. I don't see why a 2g Nano is any better than an IPAQ with a 2 gig SD chip--and the IPAQ is a lot more useful.

However, I do like the iTunes s/w that's free and downloadable. It's easier to use than any other I've seen. I use it mostly to rip Pimsleur language CDs to run on the IPAQ. If you do the whole Spanish course, there 50 CDs and 100 30 minute lessons, not counting the reading lessons. Rip it to the smallest format with the worst reproduction (who cares? it's talk) and you can fit the whole set on a player.

I love my 20 gig Ipod as well. I don't use it on the bike too often, but have. I use it in the care extensivly, and have a permantly installed line-in to my stereo. I also use it almost daily as a removable harddrive to move files between work and the house. Big downloads are much easier with two connections.

iPods have the best interface and the packaging (size, etc.) is about as good as it gets. Apple has chosen to go the cheap route with materials and the iPods are not very durable(scratching, vibration resistence, etc.)

Apple also chose to go with an in-house codec that reduces the dynamic range of the recorded material. The Apple codec(iTunes/AAC) cuts off the top and bottom of the music ala Bose. The codec is also at a lower but rate and depth than MP3, WAV, etc.

The audiophiles tend to go with Creative or iRiver based devices that use the higher quality sound formats. The Creatives are also built more durable than the iPods and tend to produce better sound. They have a more industrial look and feel about them and the interface isn't as cool.

And when it comes to downloading music, well, the Apple is the most expensive for the smaller catalog. With an iPod you get iTunes, thats it. With the other brands you get many more online services with a larger catalog at lower prices.

And lastly, I wish Apple with would back off the 'i' thing. iPod ifrom iapple iis ithing ithe imost irequested iChristmas igift ithis iyear. iGet iyour ichild ione inow!

;)

Be careful with your placement of your HDD MP3-4 players. I had my 2 year old 40GB MP3 player die in just 4 weeks/1500 miles when placed in my tank bag front/back pocket. It had done some hard desk time in Folsom, CA playing 12 hours a day, 3-4 days a week...but I think the ride killed it. Creative replaced it for $75.00 but now it is restricted to a desk job only, until a long trip comes up. I got a $65.00 512MB flash player w/ FM and just load different stuff every few days. One day it's a Greenday and the next it's old school Sabbath :punk: I never listen to the FM radio, it's all commersh crap or classic rock that I already have loaded in the player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple also chose to go with an in-house codec that reduces the dynamic range of the recorded material. The Apple codec(iTunes/AAC) cuts off the top and bottom of the music ala Bose. The codec is also at a lower but rate and depth than MP3, WAV, etc.
The audiophiles tend to go with Creative or iRiver based devices that use the higher quality sound formats.
You can set up itunes to use whichever format you prefer, including mp3. Some of my audiophile testing tracks are on the Ipod as 320kbps mp3's, and sound damn good. Not as good as the originals, but only noticable on top-notch systems.

The audiophiles tend to go with Creative or iRiver based devices that use the higher quality sound formats.
You can set up itunes to use whichever format you prefer, including mp3. Some of my audiophile testing tracks are on the Ipod as 320kbps mp3's, and sound damn good. Not as good as the originals, but only noticable on top-notch systems.
Agreed, Slappy, The IPOD is really good... Depending on what the bitrate is you select to copy it at.

I have some old wma files from a long time ago that is recorded at 64kbps. You really can hear the drop off then, But you need to decide if you want quality, Or quantity. You cant have both since quality takes alot of space. My solution was to get the 60 gig IPOD and converted all the WMA files to MP4. The quality is the same is it was before.

I will agree that the IPOD is really fragile when it comes to cosmetics, But get a silicon cover and that problem will dissapear!

Adam

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with my 60gb ipod. So far have 2500+ songs on it 6500 digital photos, all 6 Star Wars movies and about 25 music videos. Storage capacity is unreal on that tiny thing. Now I just have to find some good sounding "ears" for it to velcro inside my helmet. :clap: