Iron Butt at WFO?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is quite difficult to do an in-state Idaho SS1k that includes Moscow without doing some out-and-back routing, and/or using some less-traveled roads which are problematic at night due to critters. So I gave up on the in-State aspect.

I laid out a tentative route that starts/ends in Moscow, uses the cities below as "corners", and is run counter-clockwise for reasons of maximizing daylight running time in the more remote parts of WA/ID/MT. Google Maps says it is about 1,075 miles. I'll check it with Garmin's Mapquest (or the Mac equivalent thereof). This is a pretty nice ride: about 50% scenic but reasonably fast motorcycle roads, 30% freeway (much of that also scenic and curvy) and about 20% transitions.

Missoula, MT

Cusick, WA

Tonasket, WA

Cashmere, WA

Yakima, WA

Waitsburg, WA

Colfax, WA

4wfo8.jpg

--hmarc

Ohhhhh!

That includes Lolo Pass Highway! Yum, yum! One of the best times I have had on a motorcycle!

Well done, H Marc!

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly watch for the forest rats on US-12 coming into Montana from Idaho! From personal experience, I was approaching Missoula at dusk, and there were some big 'uns!! I don't think I exceeded 35 MPH from the Montana border all the way into Missoula that evening! I remeber this like it was yesterday! This was in May '08. Just FYI.

Cheers!

Will there be qualified witnesses on site? I'm considering a BBG on the way to WFO and would like to be certain of an appropriate welcome.

Tinker