Is a Shoei X-11 that much better than an RF1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Dumke

Reaction score
The RF1000 I can get new for around $280 while the X-11 new is around $440. But in the slightly used market (like worn one or two times) on ebay, there seem to be a lot more RF1000, so I think the price gap might be even bigger.

My main concern is noise, and obviously comfort a close second. The X-11 seems be a little more complete in its fit around the lower portion of the helmet, making the fit feel a little more "complete" in its fit, which might make it quieter.

I may be able to get a almost new (slightly used) RF1000 on ebay for around $200, while a new X-11 may be the only way at $440.

Is it really worth twice the price? Has anybody had both?

It's a bitch liking the best and being cheap. I am so conflicted.

Right now I am leaning towards the RF1000 and then get an X-11 when they come down in price.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, Nice Avatar. Reminds me of the good ole days.

I never had and RF1000, but bought an x-11 about a year ago and love it. I was in the same boat you are now. The biggest difference, that I read about anyway, was the better ventilation of the x-11. That sold me since I hate the heat of summer, even up here in Ohio. I can tell you the ventilation is phenominal from every other full face helmet I've owned. As for the price difference, you're comparing a used RF to the new price of an x-11. I've seen new x-11's sell for under $350 on Ebay.

My opinion, don't wait for the price to come down on the x-11. By the time it does, you'll only be eyeing up the x-12 or whatever else comes out next and be debating the same thing then. I shopped around quite extensively when I bought mine. I'll see if I can find where I bought if from and send you over the price. It may save you some shopping around.

also, I believe that the X-11 shell has changed to fit more head shapes. I have an Arai head, but the X-11 fits me just fine.

King,

Thanks, for the help. On the X-11 I have tried several attempts on ebay, where the vendor offered "Buy it Now" or "Make Offer" and everytime I was countered with around $442. But $350, I could go for that. And I am only looking for a cheaper solid color.

I even see the very slightly used ones getting bid up to $400, so right now I don't see the $350 happening. But I will keep looking.

How is the sound level?

Last edited by a moderator:
Found it:

www.parts411.com

X-11 solid colors $411 free shipping

X-11 Solid metallic colors $419 free shipping.

Call them and see of there's a better price than what's listed on the website. When I bought mine, they only listed retail priceson the site, but there was a note on there asking you to call for their lowest price. (Shoei won't let dealers post a price below a certain number). I didn't see any note about calling for a lower price on their website at this time, so either they figured a way around the rule and posted the pricing, or perhaps they will even go lower. ?

By the way the helmet comes with a nice protective bag, so don't buy another one like I did....

Sound level is comparable as far as I'm concerned to others that I've owned. Some say it's a louder helmet, but I haven't had any problems and don't find it objectionable at all.

Found it:
www.parts411.com

Call them and see of there's a better price than what's listed on the website. When I bought mine, they only listed retail priceson the site, but there was a note on there asking you to call for their lowest price. (Shoei won't let dealers post a price below a certain number). I didn't see any note about calling for a lower price on their website at this time, so either they figured a way around the rule and posted the pricing, or perhaps they will even go lower. ?

By the way the helmet comes with a nice protective bag, so don't buy another one like I did....

Sound level is comparable as far as I'm concerned to others that I've owned. Some say it's a louder helmet, but I haven't had any problems and don't find it objectionable at all.
Thanks, that is the best price I have seen.

You sound like you're the kind of shopper I am. Cheap, but always wanting the best. I think they call that champagne taste with a beer wallet....

Bookmark www.mysimon.com I use that when looking for best pricing. Sometimes it sends you for a loop, but it's saved me a few hundred dollars over the years buying bike stuff and electronics. Just enter in what you're looking for and it will search sites for the best prices on that item for you. Sometimes you score, sometimes you don't, but worth the effort. Good luck whatever you decide.

I wouldn't wait for the X series Shoei's to come down in price. I've been wearing them since they came out with the X-8 and they haven't come down yet, but keep going up.

I too just bought a new X-11 Norick graphic off 411.com and I too am on a beer diet. Best price I found. Just be sure and call them up to get the best price.

The X-11 is one of the, if not the best, ventilated helmets you will get. The Arai Corsa RX being in the same ball park, price wise too. But with ventilation comes noise. I never have worn an RF 1000 but have been told by someone that has worn both they are pretty close in noise.

But there are so many variables in head / neck shape / size that one helmet may be quiet on me and noisier than you'd like. I recommend getting the one that fits you the best, because in the end comfort is the first or second most important factor in your helmet. Venting would be the other.

I've had my X-11 for about 3 months now,an really like it. It is a bit noisy, but I ALWAYS wear earplugs, so not a big deal to me.

One problem I am having is that my X-11 leaks if I get caught in the rain. Any othr X-11 owners have this problem? I have to believe that since the helmet vents so well, something isn't sealing up just right.

Trig,

Where is it leaking?? Mine was leaking around the shield on the ride home from CFO last year. So when I got home I adjusted the shield and didn't have the problem after that. It also helped some with the noise. Still not the most quite helmet but I always have earplugs or earspeakers in so I don't mind.

Later,

Dana

Found it:
www.parts411.com

Thanks, that is the best price I have seen.
+1 on the CALL THEM. You will probably save another $50 or so.

I Really like my X-11. Got an employee price on it five years ago and it was still $440. I want the Multi-Tec, as soon as I can find one to try on for fit! No one around here has one to try. You will love the X-11!

My brother replaced a wrecked X-11 a while back with a pair of X-11's with the hot wheels graphics. He got both for around $500 from a local dealer he had purchased his bike from. Of course the dealership has been relocated and turns over employees on a regular basis, so I doubt those prices are still good. I believe the going rate for one was around $375 at the time. It was probably about 2-3 years ago. Still, sometimes it pays to ask around with cash in hand! Your only out some of your precious time by making a few phone calls and stopping at your local shops.

I've worn one of those helmets a few times, and was impressed at the excellent venting capabilities.

David

I've had both... The X11 vents just a tad better, both are noisy. The X-11 comes with more stuff, the chin net thingy, and the breath guard which you can add to the RF-1000. I still have and wear the x-11

Seems to me the liner or the cheek pads don't come out of the RF-1000, there is a liner difference but it's minimal if you ask me.

Would I spend the bucks on an X11 again? I don't know... It's awefule comfy and aweful damn noisy.

I don't have an arai head, so those are out.