is it illegal to have reflectors facing forward?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
I wanna put some reflective tape on the front of the bike, but would it be illegal for some reason (potential "blinding" hazard) or would it even be noticed in addition to my headlights?

I'm thinking about two strips just above the headlights on the cowling.

Alexi

Hey, if this is legal, anything's legal.

IMG_1299.jpg

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Color may be important. Don't put anything red facing forward.

The turn signals are reflectors . . . .

But in addition to headlights, they would be all but invisible. They would make a parked bike visible, but I think useless against the headlights.

Do not ask the police, they don't have a clue.

Check the rules - they are all available online. And if it turns out that whatever it is you want to do is not prohibited, then do it and print out and store a copy of the relevant rule so that you can show it to a clueless policeman if and when you get stopped.

But as has been pointed out, no reflector will ever be as bright as the headlight . . .

I'd be willing to bet that anything forward of the rear wheel must be "amber".

As others have stated, it's only likely to help when parked as any reflectance will be far less than the lighted headlamp.

Red or blue windshields, bug deflectors, reflectors, and lights are not allowed on the front of a vehicle (except authorized emergency vehicles). The following lighting and reflector information should be common for all states. Here is the info from the Peoples Republic of Califronia.

25950(a) CVC - The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps (mainly on large vehicles) may show red to the front.

(2) Foglamps may be in a color spectrum from white to yellow.

b. The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:

(1) Stoplamps on vehciles manufactured before Jan 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.

(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.

(3) Front side marker lamps may show yellow to the rear.

(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear. (Only while being opperated in reverse)

(5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.

(6) A reflector meeting the requirements of, and installed in accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both. (Section 24611 VC is specific to trailers and a motor truck having an overall width of 80 inches or more.

This means that the reflector tape most of us put on the rear of our bags that reflect white to the rear are not legal. I have never heard of anyone getting stopped for having the bag reflectors so mine will stay.

I have strips of white SOLAS reflect-o tape on my fork legs for peace of mind in motel parking lots, when parked nose-out. Haven't been busted...yet. Some cars have turn signals that are white reflectors in front, so I not worry. WBill

Yes, Bill, you're right. I was thinking to NOT use anything that reflected red forward. I suppose the local gendarmes would not look kindly on that idea.

I think most of these laws were written before all of the modern reflective tapes were created. It's a good example of the laws not keeping up with technology. I have white reflective tape on the sides and back of my helmet. I also have white reflective stuff on my riding boots, pants and jacket. I have not been able to determine if the rider on his bike is considered part of the vehicle as far as the color and placement of reflectors go. I can't imagine any LEO giving anyone a hassle for trying to increase their night time visibility in any of the ways listed above as long as the red and blue are not showing to the front.

I wanna put some reflective tape on the front of the bike, but would it be illegal for some reason (potential "blinding" hazard) or would it even be noticed in addition to my headlights?
I'm thinking about two strips just above the headlights on the cowling.

Alexi
I haven't gotten hassled over reflective tape on on my bike and it is invisible except when hit by headlights.It cant be seen by oncoming cars either but sure comes in handy when some dufus charges at my bike when parked.I will warn you that placing blue led or other colored lighting could cause problems.I got pulled over and written up for my blue and red led's lights one night.I think LEO had enough of the stunters and took it out on any bike that showed up there.You in the Army?

You in the Army?
Yup. I was thinking that they would help during parking in a hotel or parking lot. I always try to pull my nose forward enough where it's in line with car bumpers to avoid that person zooming in to take that "primo open spot just past the truck", but I guess it wouldn't HURT to try putting on the reflectors. Worst comes to worse, then hopefully I can explain it to whoever has an issue with it and at the very least just take them off without having to pay in any way.
Alexi