Is my new VStream windshield crooked?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I just replaced my stock windshield with a VStream windshield and noticed that it seems to be a bit off-center and crooked (leaning slightly to the left side of the bike). This is based on observing the gap between the windshield and the base of the mirror stalk on each side of the windshield (one side has a noticably larger gap) as well as just looking carefully at my bike head-on and noticing that the top edge of the windshield seems a bit crooked and off-center. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

I've already tried loosening the windshield mounting screws and persuading the windshield into a straighted position as I re-tightened the screws, but there doesn't seem to be any slack there. I'm going to try mounting the stock shield and checking for crookedness to determine what the source of the problem is. Maybe it's always been crooked and I just didn't notice it until I replaced it with a larger shield that exaggerates the problem.

My gut feeling is that the mounting holes on the VStream windshield are probably machined with a fair amount of precision and that the mounting bracket assembly will be to blame. Does anyone have experience with reassembling the bracket and what could possibly be adjusted?

(btw - the bike has never been in an accident or any other type of incident that could've tweaked the mounting bracket or supports for the nose of the bike)

Thanks,

Jeff

I just replaced my stock windshield with a VStream windshield and noticed that it seems to be a bit off-center and crooked (leaning slightly to the left side of the bike). This is based on observing the gap between the windshield and the base of the mirror stalk on each side of the windshield (one side has a noticably larger gap) as well as just looking carefully at my bike head-on and noticing that the top edge of the windshield seems a bit crooked and off-center. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
I've already tried loosening the windshield mounting screws and persuading the windshield into a straighted position as I re-tightened the screws, but there doesn't seem to be any slack there. I'm going to try mounting the stock shield and checking for crookedness to determine what the source of the problem is. Maybe it's always been crooked and I just didn't notice it until I replaced it with a larger shield that exaggerates the problem.

My gut feeling is that the mounting holes on the VStream windshield are probably machined with a fair amount of precision and that the mounting bracket assembly will be to blame. Does anyone have experience with reassembling the bracket and what could possibly be adjusted?

(btw - the bike has never been in an accident or any other type of incident that could've tweaked the mounting bracket or supports for the nose of the bike)

Thanks,

Jeff
Send FJRFencer a PM, He was complaining about this same thing but I don't remember the resolution? We just wrote it off to the fact that he's a little off anyway. ;)

JW

Had the same problem on my 05, although the 07 sits pretty darn well centered. You CAN tweak the W-frame brackets, but unless it is extremely pronounced or bugs you constantly to look at it, my advice is leave it alone.

Blame it on Fencer!

My Vstream on my 07 is also slightly crooked. When fully retracted, the right side is closer to the fairing than the left side. I also tried pushing the shield to one side while tightening the screws, but no help. I never noticed the problem with the stock shield.

At any rate, I'm not worried about it and don't plan on tweaking anything. I'm guessing there's some amount of manufactuting tolerance in the Vstream shields.

Are you looking at it with the bike on the centerstand, or the kickstand?? :blink:
-BD
I checked mine with the bike on the centerstand. It's not far enough out to worry about and I had even completely forgotten about it until someone started this thread. At 100mph + the bike still tracks straight, so it must be good. :yahoo:

Latest posts