Is the '06 tank different?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Just in case no one delves deep into the tank protection thread, I asked if the tank had been changed for 2006. I want to order new stuff to cover my '04 and my '06 tanks. If I'm going to get a shipment from Australia to the US, I sure don't wanna flub it up and get something that doesn't fit.

Bueller? Anyone?

Just in case no one delves deep into the tank protection thread, I asked if the tank had been changed for 2006. I want to order new stuff to cover my '04 and my '06 tanks. If I'm going to get a shipment from Australia to the US, I sure don't wanna flub it up and get something that doesn't fit.
Bueller? Anyone?
Hey, FJRocket,

I think I'm getting that same shipment - and it's on it's way. I'll let you know once it gets here.

Side and top tank protectors - Geelong Carbon Craft - am I correct?

:D

Yep. Like to get TWO sets. How much they charge to ship from Down Under?

The sets are about $205 at today's rate.

Yep. Like to get TWO sets.  How much they charge to ship from Down Under?
FJRocket,

The charge that hit my card was $230.59 with shipping.

Obviously this will change with exchange rates, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Like to get TWO sets.  How much they charge to ship from Down Under?
FJRocket,

The charge that hit my card was $230.59 with shipping.

Obviously this will change with exchange rates, etc.
Thanks KD. Waiting for a report when the slow boat gets those CF protectors to you. They sure look SWEET.

Tank changes on the '06? Anyone? Anyone?

Hate to bust your bubble there but the tanks are different. :unsure:

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

Hate to bust your bubble there but the tanks are different. :unsure:
Thought so. Thanks. Mild bummer... <_<

Just wasn't sure if the different seat and panels made the same tank look different. In your photo, it sure looks taller.

Crap.

Hmm.. another compare point with bigdolma's 04 !

Well - I guess we'll find out about Geelong's return policy, eh? :(

Crap.
Hmm.. another compare point with bigdolma's 04 !

Well - I guess we'll find out about Geelong's return policy, eh? :(
It still might fit. Certainly worth holding it up to your new tank and seeing if it's going to work.

I emailed those guys first thing this AM to ask about a change for the '06 model. Perhaps someone down there already has one for a template, or comparison.

Well, Everyone ......

Highlander is absolutely correct - the tanks are different - and muy different !!

I just got home from running my daughter to her orthodontist appt - and there was a package from down under on my porch -

So I runs out to de garage - and hold up the pieces to compare - and

There ain't no effing way they will fit.

So - everybody out there - the tank is REALLY DIFFERENT !!!! (Too bad it doesn't hold 11.5 gallons, eh? )

So - I'll update y'all on Geelongs return policy - Unless someone is interested in a complete set of grey carbon fiber for $230.00 shipped ...... FJRocket, maybe?

PM me if you're interested.

EDIT 10:18 PM PST

SOLD (Thanks !)

So - I'll update y'all on Geelongs return policy - Unless someone is interested in a complete set of grey carbon fiber for $230.00 shipped ...... FJRocket, maybe?
PM me if you're interested.
Let me go look at their website...if he doesn't want the set, maybe.......

Thanks again, KD. Sorry you have a misfit. Sounds like someone is getting a nice deal on some CF.

I went ahead and ordered another MagKnight for my '04.... just to put on before I sell it. If I didn't have that repainted mismatch ding on top of the tank, I wouldn't bother, but it looks like shit.

In the mean time, the Aussies weren't aware of a model change, but are going to look into it. I won't hold my breath. That CF sure looks cool, though.