Is the Rotella Synthetic well going dry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Bad news for Rotella T synthetic users like me.

I sent my son to pickup 2 gallons at the local Rotella Supply store (aka Satan's Asshole, aka Walmart) for use in one of our SAAB Turbos and the latest price was $20 per 1 gallon jug. Seems like just a few years ago it was $12. It is no longer more economical than Mobil1.

I guess it was just a matter of time...

Mobil 1 is now producing 15W 50, and is freaking awesome for the hot months. Not sure what I'll use once it starts to cool down.

Coming from the Gulf Coast, what is this "cool down" of which you speak? ;)

I sent my son to pickup 2 gallons at the local Rotella Supply store (aka Satan's Asshole, aka Walmart) for use in one of our SAAB Turbos and the latest price was $20 per 1 gallon jug. Seems like just a few years ago it was $12. It is no longer more economical than Mobil1.

I think you were just getting a special break, and now they've caught on to their mistake. For as long as I've been using it, (starting with the '05 FJR) it has always been $17-$18.

I think you were just getting a special break, and now they've caught on to their mistake. For as long as I've been using it, (starting with the '05 FJR) it has always been $17-$18.

I'd thought the last time I bought it that I paid $16, but it may have been $18. But when I started using it around 4 years ago it was cheaper. Now, at $5 a quart, I'll probably switch over to Mobil1 by the 5 quart jug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes "Sams Warehouse" sells Rotella T Syn in the three-box; cost 46 dollars. Not always available though.

I just bought four gallons of Rotella 15/40 Dino yesterday and it has gone up $2.00 a gallon! This has only been the last couple of months. The synthetic has risen the same amount. I believe it is a delayed pace of keeping up with gas pricing. I was paying $9.75 a gallon for the Dino. Some of our Checker Auto Stores also are carrying the synthetic around Denver.Murdocs Home & Ranch Stores have Rotella Dino as well. Mobil 1 already was expensive so it's probably able to hold the price.

Thats a bummer, but still WAY WAY WAY WAY cheaper than the 14.95 the local dealers r chargin. Love the Walmart nick!! :clapping: LOL!!