Is there a fix for the windshield shake?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobOdenweller

Reaction score
The shield on my '07 seems to have a lot of up and down play. I can grab a hold of the top of the shield and move it up and down quite a bit. This my only real annoyance with this bike. The shield on my BMW R1150RT did not have near this much free play. Has anyone been successful at addressing this problem?

My '06 windshield has a lot of play-I suppose this is normal. It doesn't move going down the road and I only notice it when cleaning the shield.

Mine's an 06, and I don't think its loose, but then I used to own a Moto Guzzi Norge, so my standard for a power windshield is probably low.

Seriously, I have not noticed any looseness, either in riding, in moving it up or down, or when cleaning it (which I do fairly regularly because of all the bugs we've had this year).

To find out if I am just an incredibly tolerant guy, I'll take a look when I head toward the shed in a little while. If its loose, I'll edit this post.

Yes, I have noticed mine having some play in it. I wish it was tighter but I don't worry about it...

It seems the "tall" windscreen (+4") is the one with movement. (from conversations)

If that is you, you might try a slightly shorter model....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been out to the shed to check mine out, and as I thought, my 06 FJR AE's windshield does not show any signs of looseness or rattle. Neither left to right, nor front to back, nor up nor down.

Mine is stock. I'm not a big windshield fan, so mine stays in the lowered position 99% of the time.

I would tend to think that the ones that show looseness may have one or more fasteners that aren't properly tightened, but its hard to tell without looking at the specific unit.

The shield on my '07 seems to have a lot of up and down play. I can grab a hold of the top of the shield and move it up and down quite a bit. This my only real annoyance with this bike. The shield on my BMW R1150RT did not have near this much free play. Has anyone been successful at addressing this problem?
Hey Bob,

When you say 'up and down' play, do you really mean up and down, or rather forward and back, referenced as you sit on the bike?

I'm running a huge windscreen on my 06, and I rattle the hell out of it 6 miles a day on a whooped out dirt road. It has plenty of 'bounce' but is stable on the smooth street.

It seems the "tall" windscreen (+4") is the one with movement. (from conversations)If that is you, you might try a slightly shorter model....
Bingo. That's it. I was using the Yamaha tall windshield when I noticed the considerable shaking while riding. I just switched to a Cee Bailey's +4+2 with flip. Now I get hardly any shaking. This shield seems great. I only have to put it amout 3/4 of the way up to cut down on the wind noise. Not as much of a barn door look as the Yamaha tall shield. I'll probably get a +2+2 version of this shield for next summer.

I changed to Yamahas +4" windshield this summer and I got an increase in shake right away. I had one with the stock shield too but not nearly as bad.

However, I've only been riding my bike 200-300 miles since this summer because of another problem with the stearing, so, I'm going to look at the shield this coming weekend. I noticed it's the mounting to the shield that seems to cause the shake,,, not so much the shield it self.

Had my retract assembly replaced when it stopped working last month and still has the same looseness as before. Pretty cheasy for a $13k bike . . .

I installed the V-Stream windshield on my 07 and it does move up and down about an inch while sitting still. Nothing flaps or rattles while blasting down the road. If ya want to see REAL windshield movement, find a person with a Piaggio MP3 400 and the winter super tall shield Piaggio makes for it. The thing is WAY over a 6 foot tall mans head while sitting on it and waves at you if your following at anything over 45 mph. I followed one a couple weeks ago but didn't have my video camera with. I know where he rides and will try and get it on video, it's funny as hell. ;)

It seems the "tall" windscreen (+4") is the one with movement. (from conversations)If that is you, you might try a slightly shorter model....
Bingo. That's it. I was using the Yamaha tall windshield when I noticed the considerable shaking while riding. I just switched to a Cee Bailey's +4+2 with flip. Now I get hardly any shaking. This shield seems great. I only have to put it amout 3/4 of the way up to cut down on the wind noise. Not as much of a barn door look as the Yamaha tall shield. I'll probably get a +2+2 version of this shield for next summer.

that's what happened to a friend's bike... all they did was switch the windshield and it quit shakin' rattilin' and rollin' :)

There is a lot of play in the mechanism and a spring on each arm inside the front fairing that hold downward tension on each side which helps minimize that play. I suspect that the bigger windscreens are just overwhelming the spring tension. If that spring is made too strong it would hinder the motor when raising the shield. I'd leave it as designed.