Is this the dreaded "tick"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
My '04 has started making a noise.

The best way I can describe it is a rattle, or a growl, or maybe a grinding sound? It's hard to label.

Here's a link to about a minute's worth of the sound, with the microphone held right up to the right side cowling, in front of the driver's right knee.

Sound file

The best way I can describe it is a rattle, or a growl, or maybe a grinding sound? It's hard to label.

Here's a link to about a minute's worth of the sound, with the microphone held right up to the right side cowling, in front of the driver's right knee.

Sound file

Does not sound like the tick to me. Since it doesn't get louder at higher rpm, 3500 ish. Could it be a intake/airbox leak? What did you last do or have done to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,

Please delete this particular iteration of an accidental double-post, and send the 2 smart ass replies into cyberspace along with the original.

:****:

Well shit...you deleted the wrong one!

I had further explanation added to the original post but accidentally clicked "post" instead of "preview" before I was finished.

Frack!!!

Actually, you got tag teamed by two admins. While I was PM'ing you to ask if this post was legit....I think Skooter toasted your second posting.

So, now we're in a dilemma. You seem to be serious about this, I've made a smart ass comment, and now you're asking me to get rid of a post. Some people......not you mind you....will think Admins are "censoring" things. Conspiracy theorists will run amok. Downn2/Starcruiser will come back and say, "I told you so."

Suffice it to say folks that at the time I write this....there's a big John Deere logo in a post. If you can't see it....it's meant to be serious about this possible ticker.

Can you edit your original post and retype what I'm sure got toasted mistakenly by my Arizona colleague?

Actually, you got tag teamed by two admins. While I was PM'ing you to ask if this post was legit....I think Skooter toasted your second posting.
Nope. Not I. In fact, for all you smarty-pants out there, here it is: Duh!!!!

Don't delete posts. Just cause Howie is a big enough 'tard that he hasn't figured out his posting stuff yet doesn't mean all of our words of wisdom should go away. How about a merge?

Cripes! When you screw up you really know how to start a mess, eh Howie?

Okay, everybody, I'm a jackass. Let's all agree on that.

Here's the COMPLETE post, copy'n'paste from the "other" one....

Sound file

The noise is NOT constant, although it's more noticeable when the bike is cold. That doesn't mean it goes away after warm-up, just that it's a lot less constant than you'll hear in this sound file.

The noise comes from the front-right side of the bike, from the rider's perspective.

About 10 seconds into the sound file, I increased the RPMs slightly and the noise goes away. Drop back to idle and it's right back.

I stopped by the local Yammy dealer this afternoon to see if anyone might recognize the clatter and say something like "Oh yeah...that's the cam chain!" or "Yep, that's the framistat." Y'know, something obvious. However, the Service Manager and two techs all three shook their heads without the slightest idea what the noise could be.

Interestingly, after sitting at idle in the dealer's parking lot long enough for the bike to heat up to "Fan On" mode, the clatter pretty much had gone away. The sound file I recorded is about 2 hours later.

If anyone has an idea what this low-idle grumble/grind/clatter might be, holler away, okay???

By the way, the audio file is Windows Media, if that matters to your system or browser.
zat better???

That is not a ticker.... that is something else, something that is very disturbing. I don't think I'd run the engine any more.

This needs to be looked at.... I think towing to a dealer might be indicated.

How long has this been making this noise? :unsure:

My mind is going to implode. I don't do this lightly, but.......zap.....closed.

In this case Radio Howie gets a pass and can start discussion anew on the new thread here.

Meanwhile Skooter and I are going to work on our Lenny and Squiggy impersonations...........Halllo!

Well, now that I can read the whole original thread.... <_<

The placement of the sound does meet the notion of a cam chain issue. This sure doesn't sound very good at all.....

Got Y.E.S.? :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.