I've got Big Ears

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I shot the lock off my wallet and bought a set of Big Ears BE-1C custom molded stereo earplugs when I was at the show in NYC and they arrived today. The fit is definitely spot-on and the audio out of them is far better than I thought it was going to be. The earplugs fit perfectly into the ear and it shouldn't be any problem slipping the helmet over them. I broke down and got them because after riding back from EOM listening to the XM, detector, and GPS for 12 hours through the helmet speakers my ears were shot. Every time the external noises from the engine, road, traffic, wind, etc...increased I would crank up the stereo to hear the music better. It wouldn't be until I pulled up to a traffic light or got caught in traffic that I would realize how loud it actually was. With any luck, these will eliminate all those problems. The only downside I can see to them (other than cost) is that they more than likely will eliminate all noise, including emergency vehicles. I'll report back after I've used them for awhile.

lg_BE-1C.jpg

I shot the lock off my wallet and bought a set of Big Ears BE-1C custom molded stereo earplugs when I was at the show in NYC and they arrived today. The fit is definitely spot-on and the audio out of them is far better than I thought it was going to be. The earplugs fit perfectly into the ear and it shouldn't be any problem slipping the helmet over them. I broke down and got them because after riding back from EOM listening to the XM, detector, and GPS for 12 hours through the helmet speakers my ears were shot. Every time the external noises from the engine, road, traffic, wind, etc...increased I would crank up the stereo to hear the music better. It wouldn't be until I pulled up to a traffic light or got caught in traffic that I would realize how loud it actually was. With any luck, these will eliminate all those problems. The only downside I can see to them (other than cost) is that they more than likely will eliminate all noise, including emergency vehicles. I'll report back after I've used them for awhile.
lg_BE-1C.jpg

Axe, I've got a set of those, and I agree with you on all counts - if anything, they are TOO quiet!!

What I do is alternate ears - I use a foam earplug in the open ear, and when I start to notice the BigEar plug (usually around 12+ hours) I simply switch - this allows me to wear them for a long duration.

I have custom molded ear phones and love them. The wife and I use them when we ride 2 up and they are the best. Music sounds SO good and the wind noise is blocked. Best money we ever spent. :fan_1:

Purchased a set along with a complimntary regular custom at the DC International show. I must admit that I liked the "Now Hear This" sound better, but really liked the design of the Big Ears. Lets face it if they last longer then less than home speaker quality is just fine. The fellow there, Mark, was very knowlegable and a geek like me, so we hit it off. I am eagerly waiting..... :yahoo:

What helmet are you using? What was your wait?

John

BTW, my standard customs do not block too much sound and it is much more relaxing to ride--what wind noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purcased a set 2 years ago at the n.y.c. show the guy is a great salesman . recived them rode with them awhile but there was just to much out side noise called them up and just my luck he was in n.j he ask if he could come to my house and re shoot a new set of molds . I relly did not like the idea of him comeing to my house and it would give me some ride time it was just across the bridge about 15 miles to the hotel first class .When i entered the room he said this is very rare we bullshited for a bit he has a suzuki 1300 he shot the molds and he sent them air mail to me . Just 3 week ago one of the ear phones was full of ear wax (they give you a 3 pice kit to keep them clean ) sent them back and was told the mointer was bad recived them back in 10 days . there cost alot but sound great i use them with a i river 10 gb .And i agree in the city you will not here the cops or any ems stuff .