J&M Bluetooth Clip-on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyUSN

Reaction score
Just called J&M about Comm options. wired -vs- wireless, etc...

After lots of thought, I've decided to go wireless. I was concerned when I read their disclaimer regarding (no refunds on BT units). So I asked why? The answer was due to many people buying the units and returning them after a touring event. The only other negative I see with purchasing the J&M is the price ($299.00).

30 Minutes later I send an email asking if they offer Military Discount? Within the hour, I get a response from the company owner with a Yes! you are entitled to a 15% discount. That bring the cost of the BT unit right in line with the others out there.

With the bonus of 2 year everything is covered warranty. Along BT firmware update support (already on version 8). You do have to send it off to get the unit updated. Having experience BT "issues" with phone/car, this is nice to have.

more to follow once the setup is received!

J&M BT is mounted.

Volume is nice and loud. I was concerned at first with MP3 volume not being very loud. Turned out, it was due to the volume

setting on my phone was on low. After I turned that up, I cruise at highway speed with volume set about 60%. Obviously, the closer to the ear, the better.

Sound Quality is "OK" It's BT wireless. I expected nothing more than "OK" stereo sound.

The occasional very temporary interrupt occurs with head movement. i.e. looking over my left shoulder to traffic often causes a very short fraction of a second pause in stereo connect. I suspect due to the fact the helmet, and my melon as now been into the signal path. This actually seems to be happening less now, than at first.

The recharge port is multi function. From what I understand, you can also connect a pillion headset directly to the bt unit for rider conferencing. You can also connect your in ear canal headphone (with the optional and expensive dongle).

Pairing went perfectly with my G1 phone. Nuvi 765 on it's way.

The BT unit on the helmet is screwed on (not taped) which I do like. No quick disconnect which should also mean it will not fall off or have connectors that wear out, or allow water to entire. I will just leave the recharge cord in the garage for convenience, and try to remember to throw it on the bike when travelling.

Looking over the unit, I do not have any real concern about wearing it in the rain. the 3 buttons and volume control are easy to operate with gloves on.

Helmet install took me a while after I realized a flush install would require come cutting due to my helmet and head. Trying to surface mount had the speakers rubbing my ears. I could tell it would end up being annoying. I had to carve some holes in the plastic liner and dig out some of the foam to get a flush mount. End result was worth the time.

Calls sound good on both ends.

My early impressions are good. A called and spoke with J&M. They update the software, but updated (if needed) will require I mail the BT unit in.

They also gave me a 15% off military discount bringing the price down to $250.00. On par with some of the other units.

Bluetooth unit mounted

2010-05-06%2016.03.37.jpg

Microphone flush mounted:

2010-05-06%2016.04.39.jpg

A poor pic of the speaker mounted:

2010-05-06%2016.06.29.jpg

Thank you for the good info Scotty. I've been thinking about doing the same. Several questions though....how many Blue Tooth things can it pick up and is it a nightmare to make that happen?

The info reads it will pair with as many as seven Bluetooth devices simultaneously.

Although, I think I would go with a wired system if I was going to go beyond 3 or so devices.

After Months of use. I am happy with the unit as a solo BT device. I have no experience with rider to rider or rider to pillion comms.

Sound quality is probably 'OK". I do not expect any other A2DP device to be better. It's wireless therefore limited. Volume is good, there is plenty of amplification. Bass output is weak in my opinion.

Charging life seems to be as advertised. I can go about 2 weeks of commuting between charging. I feel comfortable it would last an 8-10 hour day of riding on a single charge.

I will be sending the unit back in to be looked at. The charging cable/receiving port which is multifunction (looks like the old mouse/keyboard PS2 port) does not fit real snug. Works, but is not a tight enough connect for my taste. J&M was happy to make it right whenever I send it in.