J&M CB Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelpony

Reaction score
Got a question before I finish the install on my J&M CB. I have all my wires run from the CB unit through the frame, following the other wires on the left handlebar, then beside the frame and engine and out to the rear of the bike. My question is, has anyone ever had any problems with heat from the engine on running the wires this way. All the wires will be under the heat sheild also. Makes for a real clean install, just want to make sure it will work OK.

Thanks

Steve / Mississippi

Got a question before I finish the install on my J&M CB. I have all my wires run from the CB unit through the frame, following the other wires on the left handlebar, then beside the frame and engine and out to the rear of the bike. My question is, has anyone ever had any problems with heat from the engine on running the wires this way. All the wires will be under the heat sheild also. Makes for a real clean install, just want to make sure it will work OK. Thanks

Steve / Mississippi
I've run my MP3 audio and FRS lines down the left side of the engine compartment and past the airbox and frame to the tail. I put them in a plastic loom to protect them and made sure they lay along the frame. It's got about 26K miles in that configuration with no problems.

Got a question before I finish the install on my J&M CB. I have all my wires run from the CB unit through the frame, following the other wires on the left handlebar, then beside the frame and engine and out to the rear of the bike. My question is, has anyone ever had any problems with heat from the engine on running the wires this way. All the wires will be under the heat sheild also. Makes for a real clean install, just want to make sure it will work OK. Thanks

Steve / Mississippi
I've run my MP3 audio and FRS lines down the left side of the engine compartment and past the airbox and frame to the tail. I put them in a plastic loom to protect them and made sure they lay along the frame. It's got about 26K miles in that configuration with no problems.
Thanks Roy

Looks like I need to go and get some type of wire loom and wrap everything up.

Steve / Mississippi
Thanks Roy

Looks like I need to go and get some type of wire loom and wrap everything up.

The wire loom is always a good idea!

So, other than that question, how was the CB install? I still lust after the J&M JMCD2003 setup...

A question I asked them and didn't get a straight answer for, is the antenna connection on the unit a standard CB (PL259, screw-on) type connector?

Did you run the wires from the unit down the back of the handlebar, and if so, were you able to get it tucked into the channel with the other cables?

I've had my J & M for 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly. My antenna wire runs under the tank and I have had no problems. All the wiring fits easily down the handle bars and around the forks. Lots of zip tie locations. Yes it is a standard screw on fitting for the antenna. I've tried other GMRS systems and the J & M unit (although expensive) is well worth the money.

My antenna mount has held perfectly on the back deck.

IMGP0030-1.jpg

IMGP0031-1.jpg

I ran the wires for my barrier strip and some others under the tank. Someone recommended the NAPA heat shielding, forget the p/n, but that stuff seems to be working really well. But I ran it on top of the heat shield, with some slack to move it around.

I've had my J & M for 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly. My antenna wire runs under the tank and I have had no problems. All the wiring fits easily down the handle bars and around the forks. Lots of zip tie locations. Yes it is a standard screw on fitting for the antenna. I've tried other GMRS systems and the J & M unit (although expensive) is well worth the money.
My antenna mount has held perfectly on the back deck.
I know J & M has a rain cover for the unit, does anyone actually use that when riding in the rain, or is the unit sufficiently water resistant?

What do you think of the performance? I was using a hand-held CB to talk to my Dad on his wing, and we were surprised to find that he could hear me, nice and clear, but when he talked it wasn't nearly as clear, and he could hear me about twice as far away as I could hear him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the asphalt loom (high temp) that you can get cut to length at NAPA and other auto shops.

I got the idea from Dale (of course) and it works very well.

wire-id.jpg

I keep the rain cover on mine when I'm not using it (like to and from work each day) more to protect it from the sun than from the rain. I have used mine (without the cover) in all day heavy rains and never had a problem. I have talked to many truckers on the road and they have told me it sounds as clear as any other vehicle cb. I can get clear, reliable reception between 2 bikes with J&M radios at the 2 mile range. Over that, it depends on the surroundings, weather, interference etc. I don't need line of sight for clear reception.

Some performance is related to the quality of the in helmet hardware (speakers and mic). Don't cheap out.

The asphalt loom from Napa works great. I replaced all plastic loom with asphalt and am happier with it. One generic word of advice, run all low signal wires down the left side of frame as sitting on bike, stay away from the electrically 'noisy' ignition coils.

I keep the rain cover on mine when I'm not using it (like to and from work each day) more to protect it from the sun than from the rain. I have used mine (without the cover) in all day heavy rains and never had a problem. I have talked to many truckers on the road and they have told me it sounds as clear as any other vehicle cb. I can get clear, reliable reception between 2 bikes with J&M radios at the 2 mile range. Over that, it depends on the surroundings, weather, interference etc. I don't need line of sight for clear reception.Some performance is related to the quality of the in helmet hardware (speakers and mic). Don't cheap out.
Yeah, if I got the J&M unit, I'd be using the J&M headset. I actually have a J&M headset for an open face helmet, I could probably attach it to my full-face somehow.