J&M CB Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsaps2

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a J&M handlebar mounted CB for passenger communications and to talk to other bikes. I will use full face helmets with installed headsets and mikes. Anyone have experience with this arrangement and mounting of a suitable antenna to include location.

A buddy I ride with who has a coughST1300cough, uses this setup. It's pretty nice, though pricey if you ask me, by the time you get the radio, two sets of headsets (theirs), and the proper antenna.

For the longest time he had short antenna syndrome, and had an issue with a grounded antennae or something so his cb range was pretty crappy compared to the cb on his dads Wing.

He seems very very happy with it.

I've had this setup for other three years and like it. It's especially good on the interstate. It's expensive and I'd suggest that you first try to establish what kid of communications the group you ride with uses?

jim

You need a 3' steel whip antenna mounted as high up as possible. Use the "grounded" type, NOT the "no ground plane" type, and ground it to the subframe with no less than 10 ga wire. Use 9' of RG58U cable....no more, no less! DO NOT coil the antenna cable!! Wrap any excess into a figure "8", then tape the around ends as tight as possible.

The antenna you choose should be able to adjust the SWR setting. I currently run a 2' antenna, but switched it out to a 3' just to see if it was any better. Audio increased almost double, but me being the hard head that I am put the 2 footer back for asthetic reasons only. I didn't want my FJR looking like some fishing troller. :rolleyes: Most importantly was the fact that I use it 99% listen and 1% talk. No difference in Rx between the two different sizes. It only seemed to affect output.

Hope this helps.

I'm currently working part time for a CB shop. I learned more about antenna tuning in the last three months than I did in the last 48 years.

rule of thumb......grounded antennas work best with 12' of cable, absolutely but no less than 9'. You increase the length by 3' intervals if you have to make it longer.

Non grounded or "no ground plane" antennas work most efficiently with a 17' cable. No more, no less. That is, of course, when they work at all. Very tough to tune a non grounded antenna. You can get a false reading just by standing near it. (withing 10 feet) Also, never tune a non grounded antenna between two buildings, like houses or such.

NEVER roll the excess cable into a coil.

Folow these rules and you'll get it right.

I ride with a lot of folks that use CBs and I have one on my Wing and had one on my Valk, so I needed to add one to the FJR. Went with the J&M unit and am pleased with it. Pricey, but works fine. I find communications to be a good safety addition to riding with others, and also helps when doing a little planning on the road, ie for lunch or lodging stop. We generally don't talk too much, but use the "roger beep" to get the other's attention.

I am considering the purchase of a J&M handlebar mounted CB for passenger communications and to talk to other bikes. I will use full face helmets with installed headsets and mikes. Anyone have experience with this arrangement and mounting of a suitable antenna to include location.
I've got one on mine, found best price from wingstuff.com just be careful when you use the drop down menu's so you don't order gold wing stuff