J&M CB2003 Installation Pictures?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignFlaw06

Reaction score
I've been looking around, and yes I've tried the Google search. But I haven't found any good How-To's on installing the J&M CB 2003. Are there any? I have mine sitting in the box ready to go. But I get frustrated and feel like I'm shooting in the dark when I start pulling the bike apart. The bike is still relatively new to me, and I'm not familiar enough with taking it apart yet.

So yeah, I need help. It's entirely possible that I suck at searching for it. If that's the case, flame on. But I'd like to get it on this week due to the rain coming in the next few days.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

I don't have photos handy, but can tell you it's pretty straight forward.

Each installation will be different based on where you hook up to power, where your audio device is, type of antenna etc. so I doubt there will be a 'cookie cutter' installation.

However .. through trial and error I can suggest this:

- In the steering head there's a gap where the steel brake lines and throttle cables go. That's a good place to route the JMCB cables too.

- Don't hook directly to the battery. You'll get alternator whine. Use a common frame ground and find a switched positive source like the license plate light.

- Avoid the temptation to route the cables under the foil insulation under the gas tank. That will put stuff close to the ignition points and you'll get an RPM-matched 'tick' in your audio.

That's a start at least.

I just did this a couple of months ago but didn't take pics; but it's fairly easy.

I used an aux power fuse box relay triggered that I mounted in the back. I did have to make a harness to connect from the battery to the rear panel. I removed the tank and insulation, then routed everything down the left side alongside the factory harness. It took some tinkering to get it to tuck in, plus I also mounted a zumo 550 and a V1 so had those cables to hook up as well.

Took a week or so for me as I didn't rush it, tried to think it out, and haven't had any problems since then; all works OK. I don't have any tick or rpm related noise and just used the J&M provided gizmos; nothing extra other than the homebuilt harness and fuze box.

If you are only doing the CB, it should be easy, but I do recommend an aux relay/fuze box.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm thinking about the J&M setup but have a little bit of sticker shock, when all is said and done what are you into the setup for. It sounds like it's almost 1k for a complete 2 helmet setup? Just wondering what I'm getting myself into...

Yeah, it ain't cheap, and I've got two of them.

It was this or the Starcom, in the end, the JMCB2003 won out because I didn't want to have the wife have to deal with a tankbag full of wires (not many places to put stuff on the SV650), and I wanted the ability to switch between bikes. Once installed, it certainly is easy to use: plug in headset and go. Everyting else is nicely mounted on the handlebars in full view; no fiddling with helmet mounted buttons, no bluetooth pairing issues, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: