J &M Intercom System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David C

Reaction score
Are there any members out there currently using the J&M intercom system? I'm looking for the Pro's and Cons of this type of system. Does anyone know how it compares to the autocom? Hoping to find a system which has stereo sound-rider to passenger intercom and the ability to talk "bike to bike". Thanks

David

Talked about 283 times previously when you enter J&M site:fjrforum.com into Google. Might want to start there.

I have the J&M and love it the CB works good so does the intercom I have a Zumo it is a simple plug in to get music the quality is good and all the volume you can stand. I had a Auto com and sold it for the J&M. I went with the 3 foot antenna should have got the three foot.

Had the J & M for several years. Good equipment, pricey & don't expect any technical info from the factory. They will modify/repair things for you at their facilities. PS I selected an antenna at a truck stop to save significant bucks over their antenna prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the J&M and love it the CB works good so does the intercom I have a Zumo it is a simple plug in to get music the quality is good and all the volume you can stand. I had a Auto com and sold it for the J&M. I went with the 3 foot antenna should have got the three foot.
Thanks Angus...That's exactely what I was looking for..."someone who had an autocom or other type of system who switched to J&M" and then their luck with the J&M Product. Do you have any picutres of how your J&M system is set up? Thanks

David

I've got a J&M on both my FJR and the wife's SV650. Pricey, but it works well- especially good for the wife, she just plugs in and goes, doesn't have to deal with lots of cables and connections and junk (like Starcomm).

I've modified mine to have an earphone plug as I use custom-molded earplugs. Wife uses the standard speakers in her helmet, but complains that everything is muffled (she wears earplugs too - wind noise needs to be blocked).

On both bikes, we installed 2-foot NGP Firestick antennas and adusted the SWR - I've not tried the "standard" antenna's as someone else (the ST1100 guys) figured out this is the best setup.

There are two issues with J&M:

1. If you have a Zumo or cell phone, you need to get a $270 J&M wiring harness. Starcomm wins in this realm.

2. I've heard many reports of the parts failing - cords, connectors, headsets, etc. to the point where some carry extra parts on their trips. Last year, four of us had J&M's and only one worked completely. You'd think, for the price, these things would be indestructible or at least replaced for free (and quickly). For the record, the guy with a Starcomm setup wasn't working either ..

Starcomm's main benefit is it's flexibility. J&M's main benefit is that everything is on the handlebar and easy to use.